Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evil Homer

XP losing my Tray Icons!

Yep, covered this one before, but this is starting to infuriate me now!

XP randomely decides what icons its going to load into my system tray.

Sometimes it forgets my Volume Control (The little Speaker), other times it forgets the Network Connection Icons, and also leaves out the Audio HQ control for my Soundblaster Live.

I'm thinking its something to do with the programs that start up with Windows, as it takes a good minute or two for the taskbar to become available.

This is what I have load up on startup:

1) Zone Alarm Pro

2) DNS2GO Redirector (Service)

3) Volume Control

4) Audio HQ

5) Norton AV 2002

6) Network Connection for Cable Internet

7) ICQ 2001b

I've just disabled NAV 2002, which has allowed the Network Connection icon to appear, but the Volume control still needs to be reset in the Sound and Audio Control Panel.

As I write this, the Audio HQ icon still hasn't loaded.

Now, before anyone suggests that its the "Hide Inactive Icons" thing, forget it as I tried that already and everything has been reset to default, i.e. "Hide when Inactive".

So, if anyone else has suffered this problem, and hopefully has fixed it, let me and other that may be suffering know....

Athlon 1.2Ghz

Abit KT7A-RAID

768Mb RAM

Geforce 3

SB Live Player 5.1

3com 10/100 NIC (x2)

Cheers

Homer

i had the same problem on Windows 2000 but so far not on XP.

I am not sure what was causing it, though.

Sorry frown

maybe you could try writing a script to load each of those one at a time, instead of letting windows load them automatically...

Four and Twenty,

I saw that post, and uninstalled Norton Utils 2002 and disabled NAV2002 which starts up, but my problems still persist.

It takes at least a minute for the taskbar to become available for use, and I don't know why.

Plus suddenley XP seems to be crashing randomely now, so it looks like I might have to do a reinstall altogether.

Homer

i had this problem with Window Blinds XP. The problem was a crappy skin was loaded and it would crash explorer as soon as i tried logging on. So the problem is probably with a visual theme crashing explorer.

AlecStaar,

You are totally correct in regards that the NT based O/S is loading the programs or services associated with the missing icons, but the icons are not appearing in the System Tray.

However, it looks like NAV2002 is causing a delay in starting its autoprotect or someother service, therefore, I discovered that if I login as soon as the login screen appears, the icons kept disappearing whilst NAV was still loading.

Now, if I have to restart my machine (as it is on the majority of the time anyway), I let it wait at the login screen for about 20-30 seconds, so NAV has had time to do its thang!

Login, and it all loads normally, and even allows almost instant access to the Taskbar (Which is usually still loading because of DHCP.

Homer

You can disable that option in norton. I have norton systemworls 2002, and i found an option to disable the tray maging thing, and all my icons came back. I'll check it out right after i get home and i'll post back.

Hi, i'm new to this, Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Patrick, and i really enjoy reading all the post, i just recently installed xp prof on my system and i like it...I am having prblems with the ico thing too , esp on my laptop, the batt icon doesnt want to load.. as per post above, i found what fixed it is, waiting 30 sec after logon screen came up b4 loggin on, if somone knows how to correct that where i can log on immedialty while keeping my icons let me know thanks.. Again.. i'm glad to be part of the family...

I too have got this stupid system tray icon problem, it's really annoying and the pausing of the task bar. I have system works 2002 installed uninstalling it makes no difference. Does anyone else have any good suggestions?

P.s -> rgodart, what the hell is this tray maging? I can't find anything remotely like that in Norton 2002 system works. Has it fixed your icons properly?

You know, my roommate had the same problem ... I got him to finally make an administrator account and log into that, and ever since, the problem has disappeared!! Sounds dumb, but try logging in as admin and see if it works! smile

~TB

I am having this problem currently!, what doesnt load for me is my battery icon for my laptop. I installed NAV 7.6 CE but didnt do much, wasnt too crazy about 2002. If anyone has a fix please post it, i hope microsoft is aware of this issue. Does anyone know of a fix from microsoft or somthing?