Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smokinkane

Winxp boot up hanging

I have a little problem with my new setup. I have Winxp pro installed, and log in as the administrator. As I log in, I reach the windows desktop and several programs begin to load into the system tray. After ICQ, and Norton's Antivirus are loaded, there is a pause of more than 30 seconds before the computer finishes booting. If I try to execute any other programs during this period of time, they are not executed until after the computer finishes booting. It didn't start doing this until a week after the clean install of Winxp. I will list my system specs for reference:

Shuttle AV40 (4.34 4in1's)

P4 1.7@ 2.0ghz

512mg of Kingmax DDR

Geforce 2 Ultra (det 12.41)

sblive value (newest drivers 3511's) I think thats the number not on my computer right now

Promise ATA 100 controller

IBM 75gxp 30gb

WD 20gb

WD 13gb

Pioneer 16x DVD

Yahama 40x10x16

Linksys NIC

The problem doesn't keep me from using my computer, but it is annoying, leave a post with any good answers

i am getting a problem similar to this with my machine

logs on super quick. like 3 secons from the black win xp screen.but i takes like like a good 20 seconds to load the network stuff. I doesn't pause to the point where i can't do anything but perhaps that is cause i have dual proccessors.

o yeah the pause is also just after nav starts i bet that is the culprit. need to get corp 7.6 as 7.51 doesn't seem to work for me anymore in the final.(using system works 2002)

I will try that, I'm sure its a software issue, becuase it didn't really start until I started putting all my software back on, I will keep you posted if it works

Quote:

...After ICQ, and Norton's Antivirus are loaded, there is a pause of more than 30 seconds before the computer finishes booting. If I try to execute any other programs during this period of time, they are not executed until after the computer finishes booting. It didn't start doing this until a week after the clean install of Winxp....
The problem doesn't keep me from using my computer, but it is annoying, leave a post with any good answers

It is Norton Antivirus 2002. It takes about 30 seconds till Autoprotect is activated. I hope, that Symantec will deliver a patch to solve this "problem". I also noticed, that the shutdown takes a longer time (20 seconds) since NAV 2002 is installed.

I made a bit of a discovery earlier.

Whilst playing around with my startup, I brought NAV2002 back in, but didn't log in straight away.

I left it for about 20-30 seconds, then logged in, and all of my icons appeared, as well as the taskbar becoming active a hell of a lot quicker. It seems that Udo is right, and that NAV2002 is taking too long to initialise its Autoprotect feature.

I have WinXP on my laptop also, without NAV2002 installed, and it boots a lot faster from the login.

Hopefully, Symantec will get a fix in the works soon.

Homer

Same thing on my machine too, it takes a while to load all the tray icons, but not even close to a full 30 sec.

I also noticed that (even with NAV 2002) if I unplug the Cat5 cable from the DSL modem at boot (or before logging in) everything starts faster!? It's an external modem, needs no drivers, I dial over a PPPoE connection straight into the Access Concentrator.

set an ip address for the nic that the eternal modem is pluged into this will help speed up thing cause it woln't do dhcp. like my dsl modem doesn't assign a ip so if the nic is set to dhcp it will take a while to fail and this causes a pause.

get NAV 7.6 Corporate. that is xp compatible. NAV 7.51 corp was nice but it does't seem to work with the final build of xp. (i guess they disabled it so that you gotta get the new program. pisses me off tho cause it worked in all the xp betas)

Quote:

Just got NAV 7.6 CE
works perfectly as it should
does not cause the system to pause at all.
that is what i like to see

And on the other hand I don't appear to be able to get NAV CE 7.6 working correctly. It installs fine, and functions as you would expect, except for one thing; the SARC updates don't seem to work.

I say don't work, because even though they never display any errors, from what I can see, and always seemingly complete, the definitions never seem to get updated. You can see this by looking at the main NAV CE window, which still, and constantly shows the virus definitions as being dated February 2000 (or is it 2001?), which are the ones that are applied during installation. It doesn't matter it I wait several hours or even reboot dozens of times, the date still shows as being back in February sometime.

Because of this, I'm currently using NAV 2002, but like others I am suffering from horrendous slow downs when XP is finishing booting. It doesn't appear to effect the time XP takes to get to the desktop, just a good 40 seconds to a minute after that, where my HD goes mad, and I can't use the GUI at all. Unless Symantec can fix this, I'd rather go back to NAV CE, if only I could work out why it won't update.

Quote:

Because of this, I'm currently using NAV 2002, but like others I am suffering from horrendous slow downs when XP is finishing booting. It doesn't appear to effect the time XP takes to get to the desktop, just a good 40 seconds to a minute after that, where my HD goes mad, and I can't use the GUI at all. Unless Symantec can fix this, I'd rather go back to NAV CE, if only I could work out why it won't update.

My solution for the long booting of XP was DHCP. XP is looking for an IP-adress. After I have given a static IP-adress to my network card, the boot process takes only about 10 seconds and NAV 2002 has no problem to start within 2 or 3 seconds.

I hope, that some of you will help this.

Udo Kammer

I don't believe DHCP to be the problem, as I don't have a nic in my PC. About the only thing I have which resembles a "Network Interface", is my Alcatel ADSL Speed touch USB modem, but my ISP (BTOpenWorld) uses Radius servers rather than DHCP, so there isn't much I can do about that.

Having said that, I have definitely noticed that Windows XP boots drastically faster when the NAV 2002 auto-protect service is disabled, so for the moment I'm going to keep my accusations aimed towards NAV.

If only I could work out what is stopping NAV CE from up[censored] it’s virus definitions confused