Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
diis

disabeling ACPI?

Can anyone give me some directions on how to disable ACPI steering in Windows 2000? I did it once a long time ago, and I completely forgot how I did it.

It's rather easy actually. Goto Device Manager and then click the "+" next to computer. Right click and goto Driver then Update driver. Select show all choices or something or another and select Standard PC. Reboot and it will refind all of your old hardware so driver reinstalls might have to be done. Or you can press F5 when it asks for SCSI drivers in Win2k setup.

Note that sometimes even with Windows 2000 it's not always that easy. Make sure you have the recovery console handy. wink

U all know u can have several "hardwareconfigurations" u can have one as acpi and make an other on like a standard pc i did so and when u start up u can choose wich config u wanna use.

cool

Takker ærbødigt for din store expertise. Med din hjælp har jeg fået lidt ekstra med på min hjemmeside.

The only problem i have ever found with changing the kernel type from ACPI to standard PC is that APM WIL NOT WORK AFTERWARDS, even if it is enabled in BIOS. The legacy APM Interface node friver always fails to load, so i find it best to install as a standrd PC type on setup.

Also I've never been able to go back to an ACPI configuration (Not that I'd want to), i've always got a BSOD on startup from ntoskernel smirk

for those of you who dont know how to install windows 2000 with standard PC setup, when you get to the first stage of the windows 2000 install, where it asks you to press the f6 key to install raid / scsi drivers, if you press F5 it'll give you the option to install an alternative PC setup (non ACPI / SMP etc) i suggest you select "Standard PC" as i've found it by far the most stable of the bunch

I had to reformat after I tried disabling ACPI, so I just leave it be. It is supposed to help keep the CPU cooler too, BTW.

and why would disabling apci let your cpu be cooler? id like to see that

guys acpi is like running everything thru a funnel before it arrives... it routes... therefore is slows down and causes more cpu clicks... without it.. the system WILL run cooler cause its less work, and everything will run faster as well...

Acpi is MS's way of creating less work for the unknowing users.

Alvarez, ACPI was not developed by Microsoft. It is a standard that they adopted. It was created to resolve the problem of having a very limited number of IRQ addresses available. ACPI is not some conspiracy meant to take control of your computer and kill your dog. As long as hardware manufacturers design their products correctly (Creative, are you listening?) ACPI works very well.

OLEerror im very aware what its for... It routes irq's so the user doesnt have to worry about it when the hardware manufacturer makes "unfriendly drivers"

Anyone who survived 98 can handle non ACPI steering on win2k and have MUCH improved performance. (especially on harddrives) run HDtach on a harddrive with ACPI on then on one without.

Look now Alvarez, you are the one claiming that there is a difference, that ACPI slows down. Funny that you are asking us to run HD tach to prove it, I'd guess that you've done it already as you tell us there is a diffrence. Or do you just think there could be a difference ?

By all means, run your computer without ACPI if you want, and believe what you want but if you claim its slower with ACPI then post some facts. Not just unfounded opinions.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.

H.

ACPI can cause slowdowns and problems but ONLY if your system does not support ACPI properly. If everything works fine with ACPI then there will be NO performance differences whatsoever. NONE. NADA. ZIP. ZERO. CERO. Capishe?

I have just been thru a bout with the ACPI setting you are talking about. If you have Win2K alreday installed with the ACPI setting enabled in the BIOS don't disable it. Chances are you will CORRUPT the OS. You can though disable it through software by going to the devices manager and selecting the computer and then select Adavnced Configuration and Power (ACPI),select update driver,select show all listed and select standard computer. Then shutdown and restart and no more ACPI. But I have found out with out it a lot of peripheals will not shut off or shut down properly and ATX cases may not shut down properly. Now if you have already installed Win2K without having enabled ACPI you will never get Win2K to recogonize it. The only way to get it to work on Win2K is to enable ACPI in the Power Management portion of the BIOS and do a fresh install of Win2K. Then Win2K will see it and install it during the install. Then if you want it disabled you can disable it thru the device manager like I explained. Now another thing is that if you have a new M/B like my Abit KT-7A it is enabled by default and their is no way to turn it off unless you use an illegit BIOS. This is something that the M/B Mfg's are doing to make the M/B's Microsoft compliant. By the way kgeissler started me on to this path of seeking knowledge of the ACPI. Hope this helps.

Also if there is any problems you have with the ACPI enabled from a fresh install of Win2K then install Sevice Pack 2. It helped resolve the ACPI issues I had. It WILL eliminate the slow downs. I ran Quake3 demos with ACPI enabled and disabled. Not any measurable difference to worry about.