Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Behemoth

Win 2K won't install, help!!

Umm err it's not very often I put in a request for help anywhere but this problm really has me beat. I decided it was high time I installed Win2K on my machine again (trying to move away from 9x) but every time I try all I get is a stop message saying Can't_Read_Boot_Device . . .

The only thing I can put this down to is my promise ATA 100 controller on my Asus A7V, I've never had htis problem with Win 2k before on ym old mother board, any help is greatly appeciated, I need something for stable than Win Me and at this present moment I'm stuck with my machine having 2 boot options

1) Contune Windows 2000 Setup

2) Microsoft Windows

And at present I don't wanna format my drive either.

Just to prove that theres nothin gwrong with my hard drive I got hold of another identical Samsung Spin Point 20 gig drive and I got the same error message.

Any ideas? Or do I have to abandon hope of using Win 2k altogether??

Behemoth

Try disconnecting all of your stuff when installing,

Particularly USB Devices. If I remember correctly your chipset is via and some of those systems have a problem with usb.

Nothing is too much just leave it bare as keyboard mouse and screen

I have a feeling you might need those when installing smile

Also If you have anything non-standard inside your machine make it standart such as TV Cards etc. remove them temporarily, you can put them in later and see if it works.

Latest I know you do not wish to format but a clean install is the way, dump your stuff to your second HD, burn them to cd's whatever boot from w2k CD, and make it an NTFS partition.

Oh and latest, if you have any bootmanagers or such running, get rid of them, disable security options in your bios.

I don't know exactly what your problem is so these are the causes that can cause a setup to fail.

I hope it helps.

All USB devicse are off Scanner, Printer and modem un plugged but will try that one.

Just got the latest drivers doewn for the ATA controller so will give those a shot, if all else fails clean install here I come.

Behemoth

You might also wanna try

hitting F8 during the start of installation and use your drivers for your controller.

(Where it says press F8 to install third party SCSI controllers etc.

That's the only problem is that Win2k doesn't have the drivers for the Promise card. Put the win2k drivers on a disk and press F6 when it asks for SCSI drivers (says it at the bottom)

To sum it all up:

-Boot off Win2k CD

-Hit F6 when the blue screen comes up (not the blue screen of death)

-Hit S when asked to install SCSI drivers

-Feed in floppy disk you should have with Promise drivers on them

-Feed floppy if asked to again

That or just plug the hdd into the other IDE ports and install the promise driver later on after the Win2k install.

edit---

look 1845, think i845:D

Ahh someone with the same motherboard as me. Anyway will try the different IDE port when I try to install again sometime thjis week, just have to drop my drive on the UDMA 66 and hopefuly it should work that way.

Behemoth

Yea I had the same board, same problems. I solved it by xtracting the Promise drivers on a floppy and using the "install 3rd party drivers" at setup.

I wonder if you have a W2K cd with SP2 built-in, would it work straight away? Cos I think they brought ATA100 support in SP2.

The slipstreaming thing with automatic support for the Promise controller? I don't think so, tim. Can't say for 100% sure, but I highly doubt a slipstreamed Win2kSP2 would give ya that advantage.