Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Windows95

NFS Porsche Unleashed - XP Probs?

I've done a clean install of WinXP Pro on my system and have installed NFS Porsche Unleashed as well. The game ran perfectly under Win98SE and seems to be running just fine under XP as well save for one problem. The track called "Alps" always crashes after a minute or so of racing. The game locks with the sound looping for about 10 seconds and then it drops to the desktop. No error messages are given either by NFS:PU or WinXP. Although I haven't tried all of the tracks, the others I have raced on have no problems to my knowledge. Only Alps crashes after a minute of play. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Maybe if you have NFS:PU give the Alps track a try and see if it works for you.

My system:

Thunderbird 850

ASUS A7V

512 MB RAM

ASUS Geforce3 (22.50 Detonator XP drivers)

SB Live! (XP drivers)

Oops, wrong thread.

On second thought I might be able to help you too. On your XP CD in the SUPPORT\TOOLS folder is a file called ACT20.EXE. It will install the XP Application Compatibility Toolkit. One of the tools it installs is the Compatibility Administration Tool. Once the tools are installed, launch it and scroll down to the entry for Need for Speed: Porshe Unleashed, click it and in the left hand pane right-click "PORSCHE.ICD" and select "Disable Entry" and then try running it.

Turns out it isn't an XP problem. Some nvidia cards with certain drivers don't work well with NFS:PU and I guess mine is one of them. Turning off lense flare in the game has solved the problem.