Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lager_brains

Has Partition Magic slowed my computer (Word2000 is slow ope

I've noticed now on TWO computers that before resizing the C: drive using Parition Magic that Word2000 opened fully within around 2seconds.

After resizing c: with PM6 (and 7), I've noticed that Word2000 takes in excess of around 10seconds to open. The Word icons are what seem to holding up proceedings (as well as the Quick Launch icons - which seem to 'refresh' themselves). Also Excel seems to take longer to open than before.

I've reinstalled SP2, this hasn't helped.

And another problem I now seem to be having is that my cdplayer seems to spin at a zillion rpm yet doesn't actually do a lot (i.e. doesn't run the setup.exe file which is on the inserted cd).

Please help, I have NO idea why this has happened.

Machines are VERY clean otherwise, ran diskeeper, no beta or shareware software.

Thanks in anticipation,

Well, resizing partition with partition magic does not really does what it says, it modifies the partition and links the other ones on top of it and such which is very risky and I had some bad experiences with it.

I know it sounds like a lot of trouble but why not backup your stuff and do the partitions from scratch without magic!

Partition magic uses some kind of emulation software which it loads on the boot sector. I do not know the specific details since I never bothered to find out but this is the main reason for your problem.

I hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

I've tried reinstalling (not removing and installing) Office2000, no difference.

Softwares both work fine once open, but they just take a lot longer to open than previously.

Contacted PowerQuest - as usual, they'd 'never heard of it' but they are looking into this.

Yes I understand I could reformat and reinstall everything, but that'd defeat the whole point of PM existing in the first place, right ?

Hi AlecStaar,

I know for SURE that Word is opening much slower than before. Others I THINK are opening slower (Photoshop & AutoCAD).

I don't understand exactly what you mean regarding 'indexing service' and letting it 'run over your disks where it is housed.....'

Can you explain a bit better for me (I've don't know what Index Service is) ?

Thanks,

What he means is,

There is an Indexing service in windows and office that will index your documents or regularly used files exact locations of them etc. and cache it in to the memory. But I do not think your problem is opening the "files" slowly. it is disc access speed.

Quite frankly, i never used partition magic extensively, definetly not long term. I know What i wrote before from the white papers and some experimenting.

Try AlecStaar's suggestion, I hope it solves your problem but I doubt it.

It was good thinking though. Simple answers evade us regularly! smile

Yes,

I have Diskeeper 6 and used this on both machines, no difference.

FWIW, I use 'offline' filing (i.e. making directories available offline).

This may be a shot in the dark, but have you checked that your HD's are set to UDMA and not PIO on your primary and secondary IDE controller?

You can use PM6/7 to resize the cluster size. You may want to use PM to increase the cluster size. This could have a positive effect.

What filing system are you using on the drives?