Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

alecstaar, i need help with filesharing in xp!! :(

Last tuime you helped met out with my filesharing problem by telling me to use "authenticated users" instead of "everyone". But now i made another user on my client-xp box, and he doesn't have access to the drive i shared on the server. i'm gonna try to explain what i'd want to achieve (i search the whole net for info about filesharing, but nowhere could i find the info i need. I've been configuring this way too much with trial and error, hoping it would work, and sometimes did, but now i would really like to understand what i do, so i can reproduce it at a later time):

I got a servercomputer running xp pro on which i would like to share a drive for 1 user logging into the client computer.

How do i have to configure the permissions on the servercomputer to allow access to only that specific username? (adding users to the perfmissions is waaay weird, it was a lot easier in windows NT 4

,or is it just me?).

The network is configured the right way, both computers can see (ping) eachother, and the printer on the serverxcomputer is shared fine. I just can't get drives and folders shared to specific users (i don't want to use "everyone" and the "authenticated users" option doesn't work anymore)

I hope you can help. Thanks.

Thanks a lot for your help!! I finally understand how file sharing works now smile

Everything works like a charm.