Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hykster

RAM problems with Windows XP

Did all of you guys get problems AFTER a RAM upgrade? Let's try to get a common factor here...

I've got 512m of RAM installed, and with the onboard, BIOS reports 524m. But My Computer Properties reports 480m, and task manager reports 490m total physical. What i haven't been able to figure out from the posts on this thread so far is whether XP is recognizing all my physical RAM. My guess, from the Task Manager, is no. So does anyone know why, and how to fix it?

Here's what I think, saberquill. The difference that the BIOS is seeing is 1KB=1000 Bytes, instead of 1KB=1024 Bytes, which is correct.

As for task manager reporting 480MB, I would bet with a 99% certianty that you have an intergrated video card that is using 32MB of "shared" RAM.

Assuming I am correct, what you report would be normal.

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
Here's what I think, saberquill. The difference that the BIOS is seeing is 1KB=1000 Bytes, instead of 1KB=1024 Bytes, which is correct.

As for task manager reporting 480MB, I would bet with a 99% certianty that you have an intergrated video card that is using 32MB of "shared" RAM.

Assuming I am correct, what you report would be normal.

Right, that can be the thing... did you assign some memory to your video controller? You can check this in your BIOS (sometimes it's called aperture size).

Don't change it by the way. If it's using some memory, it probably needs it.

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:

Actually, I think the BIOS is reporting RAM in Kilobytes (which is normal) - 512Mb = 524,288Kb - which I think is where the misunderstanding is arising from.

I agree about the integrated video card stealing memory - that's probably the culprit in Windows.

Rgds

AndyF

Hi guys.

Its not the problem if windows (control panel->system)shows wrong memory size.

If you have onboard video or another equipment with dynamic memory size operating system can take some memory for... It doesn't mean you have less memory than it was installed...

For a example I have notebook with 512 Mb of RAM but windows shows 496 Mb. Windows takes 16 Mb for onboard video card and total memory of my video 64 Mb. I used the same memory in notebook with fixed memory size video and windows shows 512 Mb of RAM.

I think its obviously...