Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NTGAMEMAN

Xp Out

XP is out in stores now

i have had xp since august

people ask me in stores to buy it...i'm like i have the corp version

so hahaha to you !

What is the difference between Corporate vesrion and Pro version? Is it just a different number to enter when you install?

Ed

Corporate and Pro are the same but corporate usually comes with a volume license key and you don't have to worry about activation.

The corporate version is just the pro version without WPA (Windows Product Activation). I don't think it's just the key that disables WPA - I think the cd's are a little different too....

Quote:

The corporate version is just the pro version without WPA (Windows Product Activation). I don't think it's just the key that disables WPA - I think the cd's are a little different too....

Can anyone confirm this?...that the cd's are different or is it just the product key?

Ed

The ONLY difference is lack of product activation. The corporate edition is intended for large rollouts which would make registering every single workstation unfeasible. You have to have a paper license for each workstation that it's installed on, however.

right, but the question is, what disables the WPA? Does the key just magically disables WPA on any installation? or is it a special cd that doesn't have WPA?

I did find a thread on www.2cpu.com that said the following:

"Did you know that by replacing 11 files on a retail Windows XP CD for an existing corporate edition CD, you can turn it into an unactivated corporate version? This has been tested and it does successfully work! It is important to note that this does NOT hack Windows XP in any way, it merely bypasses WPA. You do, however, need a valid 25-character PLK. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft fixes this loophole in the first service pack release. I have not monitored my traffic logs through our checkpoint firewall to see what was communicated yet... I really am surprised Microsoft would leave such an obvious and easily exploitable method to get around WPA. The files you need to replace are:

i386\dpcdll.dl_

i386\eula.txt *** cosmetic only

i386\nt5inf.ca_

i386\oembios.bi_

i386\oembios.ca_

i386\oembios.da_

i386\oembios.si_

i386\pidgen.dll

i386\setupp.ini

i386\setupreg.hiv

i386\win9xupg\win95upg.inf

End quote.

I would guess from this that the files are different on the corporate version. More than just the code to disable WPA.

Ed