Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
telthenipper

Whats happening to my free space!!!!

Hello all.

I've got this weird problem. On my C drive where Windows XP is installed, the free space seems to be gobbled up after a few hours of use. I have XP installed on a 6.88 gb partition, and I should have 2.75 gb free, but after some hours of use the windows folder seems to swell in size for no apparent reason. As I write this I have only 264mb left free, and the windows folder has swelled to 4.51 gb!!!

if I run Nortons Disk doctor I tells me to reboot, and does it's stuff and then everythings back to normal.

As I run my own server, I cannot keep running disk doctor and rebooting.

Does anybody know why this happening?

I'm using Devils own corp editon Of Windows XP

Thanks in advance

Tel

C:\windows\csc is the storage of offline files. Disable offline files and delete the folder.

/Toby

I think I've solve the mystery

I noticed that there's a log file that keeps growing:

c:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log

Old date: 10/28/2001 3:04 AM

New date: 10/28/2001 3:04 AM

Old size: 66,256,896 bytes

New size: 1,425,932,288 bytes

I've tried to delete the log file but windows won't let me, saying that it's been used by another program. I've never seen a log file that big and growing. I've also booted in to dos and deleted it, but when I reboot it comes back. I've also changed it's attributes to read only so it wouldn't keep getting written to but that hasn't helped.

Does anybody a) Know what the log file is for? and B) What program uses it? and c) How do I delete it for good?

thanks

Tel

Have a look at what the log file contains, that might give you some pointers...

Rgds

AndyF

HI yer folks.

I just want to say thanks for all your help to you guys.

I done a clean install of Windows XP and that seems to have cured the problem. When I installed XP originally, I upgraded from a previous version (beta 2505) and that may have been the problem.

I have done a search for files and folders on my c drive and there is no sign of trace.log.

Thanks TEL