Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Seldzar

Duel Celeron Blue screens

Here I am again, this time with Win2k RC2 and well now it seems to run great but i keep getting Blue screens with "xmode_exception not handled" errors

I have the hardware acceleration all the wAy down as per the other post(MX300) about duel celerons freezing but i have no idea whats causing these errors. I formatted win2k and reinstalled RC2 fresh. I have my duel celerons overclocked to 528 however both of them run fine (each as the main cpu) in 98 under stressful gaming. Any help would be appreciated

My 366 Celys go all the way up to 605MHz under windows 98 (full stresstest etc.), but only up to 510MHz under W2K. When I overclock too much I get the bluescreen you mention. Also the most sensitive applications to overclocking on my machine is Aliens Vs Predator and misc. openGL screensavers (Q3test runs flawlessly at 550MHz, but the computer locks up after 10 minutes of screensaver frown ). Try clocking a little lower, or maybe better heatsinks. I'm waiting for Alphas, so hopefully I'll get all the way up to 550...

------------------

Paul Currie

You may want to take a lok at the Ars Technica site. They have a whole piece on cooling the BX chipset itself in order to get better overclocking of the CPUs under SMP.

YMMV, etc

I agree, I threw on a BGA cooler from Tennmax (www.tennmax.com) and it has made

my system incredibley stable. I'd give it a shot, it's not too expensive either. The one from tennmax is nice, small, and cool......haha.

Granted it could be heat related however i still have one other issue, my sound dies very shortly into a fresh boot of win2k. It had never done this previous. I clocked the cpus down to 506 and after about 1 IE click and one icq uh-oh it was gone. I'm quite sure if i run at the default clock speed the same will happen

Here's my current setup, it seems similiar to yours:

Abit BP6 with dual celeron (currently at 561 each)

MX 300 Soundcard

3com 905B NIC

TNT2 Ultra

I've been running a UTdemo server all night and no crashes or blue screen. ALso I ran a MATLAB benchmark in a loop for a while and no bluescreens either.

I still think that cooling that BX chipset will offer up some benifits. I haven't done anything special with my RC2 setup either.

I figured out my problem, the problem was the Mx300. In single processor mode it is fine, in duel processor it sucks ass, well the WDM drivers do. SO i replaced it with an SBlive! 1024 and all is good.......everything is almost perfect.