Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Laddyboy

I need help with my Hard drive PLEASE

My harddrive is clicking, I have a 75% back up but there is

stuff I need off it. What can I do? It is a Maxtor 40 GB drive.

Anyone have any suggestions.

If it's clicking, it's more than likely beyond repair. You *might* be able to recover it using some special software, but I am not familiar with any of the packages. If you absolutely need the data, you could also send the unit to a disaster recovery center.

Make sure to grab what you need off of it first, and then remove it ASAP! If you can, RMA the drive to Maxtor for a replacement.

Of course, you should stop using the drive to cut your losses.

I have already pulled the drive. I was considering pulling the platters and putting them in another (identical) drive to get the data. I figure the heads in this one are gone.

Hope you have some decent tools and a clean room! I'd give the drive about an hours worth of life once you open her up. And if you're going to handle the platters then I seriously doubt you'll get anything off them once you've touched them.

I think I will just send the drive back. I have most of the Data backed up and don't really need the rest.

I have done this and it works, no joke:

Put the hard drive in a zip-lock bag and stick it in the freezer for about 6 hours.

Take the hard drive out of the freezer, hook it up to your computer real quick, and access it. You should be able to get data off it.

I have heard that as well, but never tried it. I am anxious to hear about the results.

Try and freeze it a little longer. Maybe try and freeze it for 10 hours.

When it worked for me, I was able to access the data for about 15 minutes, then the drive got hot and it started to "thaw out" smile

Turn the drive updside down. Then turn on your computer. Let the drive sit upside down instead of its upright position. This worked for me.

I froze it for 12 hrs and turned it upside down. There were times that the clicking stopped but the system never recognized the drive.

I am outta options now. Thanks for all the help.

Michael

P.s. I found most of what I wanted fromt that drive backed up on my other system.