Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

File sharing is a pain in the *** in xp, can anyone help?

I got 2 computers in a small network, both are running windows xp. Simple file sharing is ticked off on both machines.

on each machine there is a harddrive that is shared, default is "everyone" has acces, and i leave it that way. The problem is, when trying to acces the drive from the other machine i'm asked for a login/password, and sometimes i just don't have access at all.

Can someone give me a step by step explanation to make drives completely accessible (file can be deleted/made/moved/blabla on the network, without having to give a login and pass?

I tried enabling guest acces, which solves my problem, but then it seems i can't copy some files from the network drive to my computer (i'm just not allowed).

Thanks

Ok you just need to understand the basic way that NT security works. Unfortunately I looked quickly and dont have a link to a simple explaination.

Basically the thing to do is create identical accounts on each computer, both with the same password. When you do that, it will pass the user info along to the other machine and it will check out ok.

Incidentally, you can also create the same user names with different passwords, and it will prompt you for password only.

Please though, for yourself, do NOT use "EVERYONE" for your shares, this opens up alot for potential hackers to exploit. Disable your "Guest" account, and create a simple group to put your existing user accounts in, and apply those permissions to your shares.

Thanks for replying. I made 2 identical accounts on both machines, and i removed the "everyone" from the permissions list, and i added the accoutn i made. But when i try to access that drive from the other computer it just tells me i don't have access to that folder.

Only the "everyone" works.

DOH! you're right, my mistake.

The way around this is to map a drive as a different user. Map the drive with the account: \\computername\username

Thats the easiest way other than using the everyone group...i'm just paranoid about that.

rgodart ...try to create new share name and add all necessary users and full control

Thanks AlecStaar. I configured the access for Authenticated Users. Works perect.