Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lager

DVD drive problem

Hi! I've been having some wierd problems with my Toshiba SD-M 1212 DVD drive. The symptons are that the drive keeps ejecting the tray when I try to put a CD-R , -ROM , DVD-ROM or whatever media into it and the drive leaves the drive bay open it won't close the tray ,in other words the DVD drive is unusable.I have no idea whatsoever might cause this problem could PLEASE HELP!!! me...

My Computer has the following hardware:

Pentium 2 350Mhz

64 SDRAM

Diamond Riva TNT

Aureal Superquad Digital

Operating system is Windows 2000 professional with service pack 2

and my IDE devices are

primary IDE master: Seagate Medalist Pro 9140 (UDMA ticked)

slave: none

Secondary IDE master: Toshiba SD-M 1212 (UDMA ticked)

slave: Hewlet-Packard 8100i (PIO mode)

Event Type: Error

Event Source: atapi

Event Category: None

Event ID: 9

Date: 16.10.2001

Time: 12:55:48

User: N/A

Computer: LAGER-8H0W2L0FH

Description:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Data:

0000: 0f 00 10 00 01 00 64 00 ......d.

0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 .......À

0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0018: 76 99 00 00 00 00 00 00 v......

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 ........

This is what my event viewer says about the problem... and here is the microsoft's database explanation:

The device, name , did not respond within the timeout period.

User Action:

Check the cabling on the device named in the message. If the cabling is working satisfactorily and you continue to receive this message, run hardware diagnostics on the disk drive named and on its controller. You might have to contact the vendor of the device for technical support.

Event Information:

Event ID: 9

Event Source: Various

Event Type: Error

Event Log: System

IF

Try to boot in safemode and see if you can operate the drive.

ELSEIF

Boot the PC with a CD (data) in the drive and see if - after it "established network connections" and you logon - u can use it.

THEN

Your drive is toasted, maybe u flashed it with the wrong firmware wink

Couple of ideas,

First of all I'm not clear have you tried the CD-ROM in dos or just windows. Does it do the exact same thing in windows? And when you put the drive in does it acutally attempt to read the cd (spin up) or just pop the sucker right back out.

Anyway a few things to try, Remove ALL other ide devices and put it on the primary master and boot off of a cd. If this works your know your drive and the mobo are talking fine. If that does work next would be to put the DVD as slave on primary and the HDD as master thus proving that the full primary chain works, next go for secondary master with the dvd if that works then well the only dif would be the second ide device on seconday.

If that didn't work have you checked and made sure that the drive detects correctly in the bios. Also if you have another mobo to test it with that would be best. Beyond that if you have any more details as to what happens it would be helpful, Hope this helps

-Karl

Palos: My DVD drive ins't "toasted" it's just that the drive doesn't want to work with my hard drive in UDMA neither windows or dos(remind that there is no dos in win2000).

I read from microsoft.com that in slow computers (which obviously refers to mine) devices that use UDMA simultaneously may have problems communicating in the same channel due to slow central processing unit...

So I switched my HD back to PIO MODE now the DVD drive works fine...duh

Ok, so if I understand correctly the drive doesn't work as long as you have the HDD installed going back to PIO mode is only going to make your computer slower. I personaly have a 233 PII that I ran windows on with two cdroms in udma and two HDD's in udma. So most likely it isn't because of the CPU speed (if you've got a 350). As for dos in windows 2000. You're correct there is no "boot to dos" but just make a win98 boot disk and "poof" you've got dos (althought you won't be able to access your ntfs partitions). It sounds like a driver problem personaly. It could also be because of a flaky controller. Did it work in udma in other operating systems? I'd be curious to see if just 2k has the problem... Hope this gives you a few more ideas of where to look.

-Karl

Quote:

Palos: My DVD drive ins't "toasted" it's just that the drive doesn't want to work with my hard drive in UDMA neither windows or dos

I'm not so sure that drive is UDMA.

Hi,

I personally have the SD-M 1212 for quite some time now, and it is udma2. It works fine for me except that the bios does not detect the drive at once, I have to enter/exit the bios to see the drive detected... that is if I want a "normal" boot, because even though the drive is not detected by the bios, win2k picks it up and it just works fine, just as if the bios had seen it.

Brian Frank, one of the most active in there told me once that Win2k does not rely on the bios as to determine wether there is a drive or not, it just finds it and activate it if there is one working in the system.

Amazing how things work...

Remember that Multiword DMA is NOT the same as UDMA 1,2,3,4, or 5 (last being ATA100).

I suggest you leave it then in PIO mode 4, that is more than enough for the stream of data the drive passes on.

Trouble is though, PIO mode uses the CPU for each access, therefore hanging up the CPU until it finishes. You'll notice this most in DVD playback (jerky playback, any other processes running slow down etc). Using PIO is not a solution, it's a poor compromise.

As far as IRQ's go in ACPI, they are ignored. Win2k may not be totally independent of the BIOS, so it *may* be prudent to make sure UDMA is set for the device in BIOS. I personally set it as high as possible, but you don't have to.

I also have that same DVD drive in the Samurai Pro and it does run in UDMA.

Lager make you have the latest firmware if not then don't put CD win booting up Win2k or WinXP.