Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

Anthrax Infested Topic....do not open !!!

Leaving aside the tragicomic sound of the subject line, I would like to know what you guys make out of the whole thing? Opinions of any kind are welcomed, the web should be a free speech environment, where if you protest against the airstrikes you won't get laid off by your employer (just read it on CNN yesterday). So much for the whole free speech debate.

Let it flow guys...

My roomate has a guy in his class thats over at the apt all the time. Yesterday his mother got a card from heart and stroke foundation or something, and it was filled with powder. She live in no-where Saskachewan in Canada...I really dont get the point but its getting scary. I called my parents last nite and told them to make sure to have thier heads on when checking mail. Our junk mail at the apt is going right out the window.

I think it is really pathetic that you would have to resort to tampering with mail to kill people.

I have a feeling that it is just a prank, but you never know.

I have the feeling that we are going to witness an increase in the number of cases in the next 30 days. The reason behind it is that the poeple who got it now, have been exposed to the spores at least a month ago. Incubation time for humans can be up to 60 days, probably less for genetically modified variants (possibly halved to 30 days). The question is how many people got exposed without knowing it in the past month, until the media picked up the subject...

We're having scares here in Australia and possibility of one confirmed report in western sydney.

There was also a scare on a dairy farm in NSW, but that was never confirmed.

I don't like this one little bit.

Just so you guys know, Anthrax is a spore that resides in dirt, and there are cases in cattle areas here in the US (and I imagine all over the world) that don't get recognition as it:

A. Is usually very isolated, being in a large ranch, and

B. Occurs "regularly" (not like a cold or flu, of course) enough to not attract attention from the hospitals local to those areas.

The cases found in urban areas where all this powder is found would be out of the norm (duh :)), and is obviously intentional. However, cases that are found in rural areas may be only getting attention due to this scare. Just consider that when you see some of these reports.

Well, Anthrax has two main variants, the cutaneous and internal. The cutaneous one is the most frequent (90-95% of cases), but not as dangerous as the other one. The internal has a mortality rate of over 90%...antibiotics such as pennicilin work better on the first variant though. Most of the time the disease is not discovered until the later stages, when it's very difficult, if not impossible to cure. This is because it might resemble pneumonia (if spores got to the lungs) or enterocolitis (if found in the stomach).

Clutch is right, the spores reside in the earth, but remember that to reach humans, they need the extra step (animals). That's why farmers who own cattle or butchers are the most exposed. At least so far the thing is not contagious (human to human).

Well....those are the "known" variants of Anthrax. Due to genetic engineering there can be an infinite, more potent variations around (unknown variants have been diagnosticated in Africa some time ago).

Put it this way...It sucks!

Another thing to remember.

Antrax is NOT contageous. 5 people (out of the hundreds of million in our country) getting Anthrax does not mean we have an epidemic on our hands. The news is making me very angry by arousing such fear in the nation about it. People, there is absolutely nothing to be worried about (as long as the disease remains to be Anthrax).

Heck, the Flu causes approximately 1,000 deaths per year, so why are we not running around with gas masks trying to keep from contracting the flu? Anthrax this year has killed one. And most likely that will be the only one. Also AIDS, which is FAR more likely to be contracted and as we all know, is fatal, and FAR more easily contracted. Anthrax is perfectly curable if caught early enough. And again, it's not contageous.

What is really ticking me off is the way news channels and the media in general is handling the whole ordeal. Even respected news channels like CNN are arousing a fear about this. It's funny, reporters will say things like "There is nothing to worry about" and highlighted in huge bold red letters on the left of the screen are the words "ANTRHAX SCARE". Well, this is minor compared to FoxNews.. which is just flat out aweful.

Anyways.. it certainly sux, but whatever will be.. will be. I just wish the news would stop showing people in gas masks and the like, with headlines such as "ANTHRAX SCARE IMINENT" etc.

yea for real man, the Media needs to learn when enough is enough, i mean, it's good to let people know whats going on but these networks have had this crap on for 30 hours a day!!!

WHAT!?

We're up to 30 hours in a day now!!! Why didnt't somebody tell me!!?

**runs out the door with arms flailing wildly in the air**

laugh

That's exactly why they targeted big media corporations, cos they could count on the fact that this thing will be blown out of proportion.

On the other hand...did anyone think what would happen if you genetically combine the anthrax (or any other deadly bug) with the common flu?

Such artificial mutations can be achieved in your Goddamn house! (if fitted with a level 4 biohazard facility). These things are much more dangerous for the human species than nuclear weapons, people!! They can be obtained legally by almost anyone who pretends to be a scientist, let alone the eastern european connections.

And, one last question: do you really think this conflict will ever end? I personally don't frown

i think if it DOES end, it won't be anytime soon.

30hrs a day...yup. Most of us live with 24hr days, the Media on the other hand.....30hr days.

I have only two opinions on this matter.

One is,

Biggest teaching of 20th century is Terrorism works.

And the second is in my opinion how much states or Nato bombs the Afghanistan is not gonna make a bit of differenc because they have already won!

They were aiming to disrupt the normal way of life in states (mostly) and europe. They did it and also got away clean.They are captured or not is not going to make any difference unless US Government kills Bin laden on live TV by long toture. whic obviously is not gonna happen, to make an example.

I mean say he is captured, they can not execute him because of the fear of reprisal, and if they don't any half whitted idiot that happens to believe he is a holly man is gonna hi-jack a plane or take some hostages and demand his release.

I really feel for Afghan civilians, but the fact is I know terrorism (I am turkish). I lived with it all my life, my school was bombed, I lost 2 cousins in the south east border when they were doing their military service. Number of funerals we have attended to is countless.

If we have started this we should finish it properly. We should not replace one bunch of bandits with another (northern alliance). I think Nato should go in and keep the bloody place whatever the cost as an example.