Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xlegna

Final Fantasy 8. patched but not working

PROB DESC: Final Fantasy VIII loads to a black screen, resetting the video mode, then exits back to OS.

[Giving the 'ole 8 bit paletted textures fail in the ff8config.exe]

SPECS:

PROC:AMD Duron 600 (Overclocked to 848)

RAM: 768MB

DISK: Lots. 2.0Gb free on the install partition.

VIDEO: GeForce2 MX-400 64MB [V7100 Pro]

SOUND: SBLive Value

INSTALL HISTORY:

Installing it.

Uninstal+reinstall

Patch

Uninstall+reinstall+patch

Uninstall+reinstall+QFixApp

Patch+QFixApp

Uninstall+Reinstall+QFixApp

Uninstall+Reinstall w/extra game data +path+QFixApp

Uninstall+reinstall+Patch+patch+patch+patch+QFixApp

PATCH INFO:Geforce 1.2

HISTORY:

'lo there

Just picked up Final Fantasy VIII after scrounging around for it for many a day, and guess what... it didn't work.

So of course, I download the patch, and update my copy.

Andddddd..... presto... it still doesn't work.

So. If anyone can help... I'd be really really glad.

Oh yes, and does anyone know why the Ultima Online: Third Dawn 3d client lags like you wouldn't believe?

Even on the opening graphic it slows to a crawl :|

Anyways. Thanks for the help. wink

-Xlegna

FF8 should run with or without the patch (it fixes some crash bugs later in the game and graphic corruption on the GeForce, but the game should still run) so clearly something else is causing the problem. Are all the drivers for your system components (motherboard chipset drivers, graphics card drivers etc.) up to date? Got any service packs installed? Direct X 8 installed?

Ah it does run without the patch?

Hm. That was my impression at first as well, although for some reason I though *GeForce* users had to have the patch. Oh well.

Yes my drivers are up-to-date.

Checked out my bios version, my video drivers. All good.

VERSIONS INFO:

Motherboard: Asus A7V, bios 1008

[i *just* now double checked this and reinstalled for good measure. Hadn't previously thought of it. Unfortunately still doesn't work]

Graphics Card Drivers: Detonator 21.83 drivers

[5.13.01.2183 I also tried with 21.81 drivers. Didn't work.]

Service Packs: SP2 is installed.

Directx: 8.0

[DirectX Verstion: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.00.0400)]

Sound Drivers: err.. I'll get back to you on this one. If it's the soundcard that is killing it I'm going to be seriously annoyed.

I'll post again when I have made sure I have latest sound drivers.

*yawns*

I'm going to bed after this post. Tired.

Checkout out my Sound card drivers. They're fine. Reinstalled them again for good measure. It still doesn't work.

*sighs*

what reasons are there for why it would be giving the '8 bit paletted texture' test a failing mark?

Oh well

'night

I don't think you mentioned what VGA drivers you are using, but try the reference Detonator 12.90's

Ever since I installed the Detonator XP 21.83 drivers, certain games (mainly D3D) have experienced problems - UT, GPL and Nascar4 to name a few. UT was the worst, as the system would sometimes BSOD after only a few minutes of playing, or it would crash and drop back to the desktop...

Since returning to the Detonator 12.90 WHQL drivers (which I think are still the best) everything is AOK again - and GPL/Nascar4 actually run faster!

Athlon 1.33, Abit KT7A v1.1, 512Mb PC133 CAS2, Leadtek GeForce2 GTS 32Mb, Creative SB128, Win 2000 SP2, VIA 4in1 v4.33 etc