Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

WindowsXP Gaming

Wasn't the idea of XP to be that it would run all the games windowsME ran and be as stable as Windows2000.Im very confused because WindowsXP doesnt run all my games!

---------------------------------

1.2Ghz AMDK7 Athlon Thunderbird

512MB PC133 Hyundai RAM

ATX Gigabyte 71XE4 Motherboard

40GB Seagate ATA/100 5400RPM

16x 10x 40x LiteON ReWriter

40x Compaq CDDrive

17" NEC Monitor

64MB Nvidia GeForce 2 MX100

Ambient 56k V.92Fax Modem

Creative SoundBlaster 128PCI Soundcard

Hauppage WinTV and Radio card

EPSON 580 USB Printer

BlackWidow 648HOME USB Scanner

WindowsXP 2526 IE6(2600) DirectX 8.1

Office2000 Premium

---------------------------------

Well some games probably won't run if they rely on 9x-specific files to work. You are going to find that some games aren't worth it to get running when you make the jump to Win2k or XP.

Try running the games with the Application Compatibility program. I believe it's somewhere in the Programs section of the start menu.

Which games can't you get to work?

Maybe I'm running the wrong games but I've had absolutely no trouble getting games to run under XP. Even Final Fantasy VII ran fine first time. Compared to the trouble I had to go to to get some titles running under Windows 2000 it was sheer bliss.

Of course, if they're DOS games, that could be more of a problem. If the troubled ones are courtesy of EA, it would explain a lot, considering EA's poor support for 2k users.

There will be some games that just are not going to work at all regardless of what you do. That's the point where you should see how much it's worth to play again. Microsoft has done a good job of turning 2k into a good gaming platform, and I would assume that they would do what they can for XP.

Due to the NT HAL preventing direct hardware access I never expected DOS games to work, if you do you are going to be sadly disappointed. With that in mind I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get things like Duke Nukem 3D (and probably other build engine games too but I haven't tested this fully yet) and Rise of the Triad to work with full sound.

i'm still running 2526, all games have ran for me since build 2505, i'm in the process of downloading 2600, but the lightning fast speed of a 56k modem makes it hell trying to download a 512MB ISO.

The only game I am having problems with is Empire Earth demo. I have tried to run it in compatibility mode and I still get the same BSOD. I dont know what it says because it just flashes up on the screen and then the system reboots so I can't give you any information about what could be causing this. I have also looked in the event viewer and there is nothing there I don't know is anyone else having problems with the game.

Quote:

Maybe I'm running the wrong games but I've had absolutely no trouble getting games to run under XP. Even Final Fantasy VII ran fine first time. Compared to the trouble I had to go to to get some titles running under Windows 2000 it was sheer bliss.

I too have had good luck with xp and games, but I can't say the same for Final Fantasy VII. No matter what I do, it always crashes on the mini games (motorcycle fight out of midgar, snowboarding, etc). What did you do to get it to work?