Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GShapiro

Install retail XP PRO over Corp. PRO??

Now that I am fully satisfied with XP PRO Corp version I'd like to purchase the official XP PRO when it becomes available.

The only problem I have is that I have installed a lot of programs on Corp. and made a fair number of Registry tweaks.

I know it might be to early to tell but does anyone have any idea if I can install the retail version on top of Corp. and retain all my stuff?

I know this can be done with RC2 (or so I read).

Any thoughts on the subject?

TIA

I've been reading that M$ might make it impossible to apply updates to XP versions that are not bought through proper channels. So the updates due out on the 25th of Oct. might not work.

And I would sleep alot better having a legit copy of XP Pro.

Quote:
I've been reading that M$ might make it impossible to apply updates to XP versions that are not bought through proper channels. So the updates due out on the 25th of Oct. might not work.

Uh-oh!

It's something Microsoft always said they would do, but if it actually happens is anybody's guess.

Because some subtle changes are made to files on the 'hacked' versions, there is a good chance that MS may code something into updates/Service Packs to check for these subtle changes, changes made, update refuses to install.

Of course I'm sure some of those leet programmers will find a way around that (And then everybody complains on price, of course it's high when MS programmers have to try and get around the hackers all the time!).

Another proposed method was to "lock-down" known compromised versions of WinXP.

That is, Windows Update or a Service Pack would be allowed to install fine, but if it was installed onto a known compromised version then the OS would be locked into 'Must call MS for a registration Code' mode making the OS totally un-useable.

This idea is fuelled more by MIcrosoft saying that any corporate edition of WinXP could be traced back to the original OEM, that is every 'Master' copy of WinXP could be traced back to say, Compaq or Dell - In turn the company in question that allowed their copy to be posted on the net could be fined.

This final piece is the least likely, it does seem highly unlikely that a special hidden code is built into each and every corporate edition manufacturerd - as far as I know they will all be identical, but it still begs the question of MS will make you go through hoops to install patches/service packs onto Corporate Editions.

If Linux would run all my games and most of the hardware nowadays, I would be willing to go thru all the pain of tweaking my kernel, or living in a console window.

Right...maybe then pigs will fly too.

So much for OS alternatives

Well if they disable the "compromised"( i.e the one that gateway,hp and thousands of other people using) corp edition you know how many thousands of legit computers will be locked down?? I dont think they will be any lockdown codes for the corp edition it would take months for the oem's to fix their customers computers.