Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blizaine

XP Home Edition and NT Networks

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find an answer.

As everyone knows, in Win98/ME you can install "Client for Microsoft Networks" so you can log onto an NT domain. Likewise, you can install "Client for NetWare", for NOVEL networks, if needed...

This is still possible in XP Home Edition correct?

It's just that everything I keep reading about says that XP Pro has all the "Business" networking stuff and XP Home Edition has the "Home" networking stuff (ie. ICS).

I just need to know if XP Home will be able to access the same networks that 98/ME can...

My work just ordered 11 Sony “Digital Studio” PC’s and they all are shipping with XP Home Edition (wasn’t my decision), but it will be my responsibly (as the IT guy) to integrate them into our small NT4.0 network (single server), so video can be edited, then encoded to either MPEG or Windows Media (via Premiere6) and stored on a main server.

I am asking because I have yet to even use a beta version of XP (home or pro).

TIA,

Blizaine

I dont know for sure, but i'd say it definately will. They are still marketing XP home edition to the same market as WinME. They wouldnt shoot themsevles in the foot by disallowing those PCs from working on a corporate network.

I would say that Microsoft's definite intent is to get workplaces to buy XP Professional. Yes, that equals a price increase for current 9x users. Yes, there's a XP Home to Pro upgrade available.

Simple file+print sharing will probably work, but you can't add machines into Domains (NT4 or AD), and that means you are deprived of the management features and you won't have single login, etc.

They almost did this with WinME (betas had restricted networking), but backed off.

You cannot connect to a Domain with XP Home Edition. However, you can place the computer in a Workgroup with the same name as the Domain. This will allow you to so file sharing, drive-mapping, and network printing as if you were on the Domain. To make the network browsing faster, I'd suggest turning on NetBIOS over TCP/IP.