Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk79

Network and dial-up connections have disappeared!!!!

Hi guys,

I've got a really wierd problem with my set in my workplace. It's running a dual boot with Win98 & Win2k. The windows 98 partition has no problems whatsoever & is running on tip-top form.

For some reason though, in Windows 2000, I've have "lost" my network and dial-up-connections within the dialog box (My Network Places-Network & Dial-up Connections). I know they're still there because I can access them through Internet Explorer properties.

There are no network or dial-up problems which leads me to be believe it's just a stupid setting I've inadvertantly changed. The problem is exaggerated because I can't add any new ISPs as I can't see the "Make New Connection" option.

Is there any way they could have been hidden? Please help me - I'm going nuts here...confused

I'm not sure exactly what you're missing, but I can think of three ways to get to Network & Dial-up Connections....

1. Right-click "My Network Places" and choose properties

2. Go to Start->Settings->Network & Dial-up Connections

3. Open the Control Panel and choose Network & Dial-up Connections

Or do you mean that you can get there, but can't see anything in it? If that's the case, I'm stumped.... are you logged into an admin account?

don't think this is a problem with permissions - I'm set as Administrator for the local machine & for the network. In any case, I've logged on as a different user (the default Administrator account) with no luck.

dont worry - I'm looking in the right places, though!

It seems to me I remember the same problem was solved in an old thread on this board, maybe last year.

You may want to try a search into old posts. I dunno for how long the admins here keeps old posts.

The most likely cause it that you have stopped one of the remote access services.

Re-enable it and they should re-appear, just like starting and stopping the pirnt spooler smile