Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

Win2k does not shutdown/restart

windows 2k does not shutdown or restart at all. after it gives my the message that it is shutting down, the window disapears and leaves me with a blank desktop, and i need to restart manually. although when i get back to windows, it doesn't tell me i need to scan any disks due to an incomplete shutdown.

how do i fix this?

Note: I tried starting win2k in safe mode but the problem still exists when trying to shutdown/restart.

We had a similar problem on several Win98 computers and the following steps helped to fix the problem:

1. Start by removing everything from your StartUp folder.

2. Then clean out the "Run" section of your registry.

You would expect booting in safe mode would do the same thing though.

Also you may want to save the registry settings, so that you can add your programs back one by one and see which one causes the problem.

Are you using Live!Ware on Win2k? If so, are you using a Norton Antivirus? There have been issues in the past with devldr32.exe (%root%/winnt/system32/devldr32.exe) hanging on shutdown. Move devldr32.exe to your startup folder and that will fix the problem.

But it sounds like you fixed the problem anyays. I just figured I'd post this for the sheer thrill of it.

Quote:

Are ... are you using a Norton Antivirus? There have been issues in the past with devldr32.exe (%root%/winnt/system32/devldr32.exe) hanging on shutdown. Move devldr32.exe to your startup folder and that will fix the problem.

I am using Norton Antivirus Coporate Edition 7.51.854

Will this have any difference as i did a search for devldr32.exe and it turned up no results.

That's the same Norton I use. The only way you will have devldr32.exe is if you have Live!Ware installed. If you have that installed, devldr32.exe will reside in your system32 folder.

I'm not 100% sure that this problem still exists with NAVCE 7.51, but it was an issue with 7.0.

If you do not have Live!Ware installed, this most likely is not the cause of your problem.