Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
isochar

Just saw a VERY interesting Athlon vs. Pentium III/IV Video

I have never fried an Intel CPU.

I ran even an over clocked celeron 333a w/o a fan or heat sink for hours, because I couldnt find one that fit. Installed windows 98, downloaded updated BIOS to reconize my P3 cpu heh. I let it run for awhile, even ran benchmarks, I didn't have any temp gauges or anything, but the cpu was hot.

Yeah i had a friend whos cpu fan stopped on a p3 (slot) and it just kept crashing all the time, i was amazed that it worked at all after about 4 months being run like this 8)

Slapped a new HS/Fan on it and it worked as good as new, i suppose intel have the 1 up on amd in this department smile

Quote:

i suppose intel have the 1 up on amd in this department smile

I agree.. AMD needs to work on that.

Tom did what I don't have the guts to do, and would become ill if I did. When you have the money, fried CPU's aren't a big deal.

As far as the CPU itself, Intel has better heat management and a tougher die--you don't hear horror stories en masse about people cracking their P3. And to make it even more idiot-proof, the IHS on the P4 and Tualatin P3 and Celeron make it nearly impossible to accidentally bust a die.

With the P4 retention mechanism, the heatsink isn't coming off accidentally either.

hehe yeah i noticed that when i fitted mine, that HS isnt gonna fall off easily smile