Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

That's it! The Compatibility lists need to be split up!

Arrrggghh! They are unmanageable and I don't even manage 'em! smile I bet they are a pain on your end Phillip but on this end too they are a mess!

1. A NT4/NT5/NT51 user only cares about their respective operating systems. Mingling all three OS'S together on the same screen is a terrible mess!

2. Reduce the font size. There is no reason that the name of the game should take up all the screen.

3. We need a comments button for each game. Too many people have too many systems that that can break a game. If said person posts to the board and lists it not working it shows up red on your list when it works PERFECTLY fine. It's happened many times before and will happen many times again.

4. We need to list the OS's that these games are supported in!

5. A downloadable version of the list. Either zipped in .html (easiest) or .txt.

6. needs to be sortable by OS/Manufacturer/working/not working.

Couldnt agree more, and having it in alphabetical order couldnt hurt smile atm its kinda semi-alphabetical with stuff just seemingly placed wherever frown

Its on my do list. I move the entire compatiblity list in near future (maybe later this month) to a MySQL database.

What is the backend for the message board? Is it MySQL? I use ASP and SQL/Access myself, but I wondered what was powering this system.

I know PHP works with MySQL in Linux, but can PHP works with MS SQL? because i know PHP can be running on IIS now.

I hope htis is not a dumb question. smile

Yes, PHP works just fine with MS SQL, so if you're annoyed with ASPs obvious deficiencies (lack of proper error handling etc) then PHP is a very good alternative.

Quote:
What is the backend for the message board? Is it MySQL?

It's PHP with MySQL
Quote:
I know PHP works with MySQL in Linux, but can PHP works with MS SQL?

PHP support MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgresSQL, Oracle, Sybase etc. There is also a MySQL for Windows smile

Quote:

Yes, PHP works just fine with MS SQL, so if you're annoyed with ASPs obvious deficiencies (lack of proper error handling etc) then PHP is a very good alternative.

I really would like to try PHP, but as I am barely capable of doing anything in ASP, I think I will confine my "mad skillz" to that language for the time being. ASP.NET seems to be a lot better, but I have been intrigued by PHP and how well it seems to scale well on larger sites. I also installed MySQL on an NT box of mine, but I haven't messed with it yet. I use MS SQL2K for SMS, McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator, IIS Logging, and several ASP sites so I haven't had much inclination to use MySQL at the moment.

Check out XML before PHP. I'm no guru yet, but from what I read, it has a very bright future. Also it works very well with ASP, which in turn works VERY well with COM. Does PHP have these abilities? Prolly not, since it's a Unix/Linux thing.

Just my input.

Eh, so could I.

...Just a bit of info I picked up along the way. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that "PHP is the UNIX/LINUX equivalent to ASP".... or something to that effect. This is why I've never bothered to learn it.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Thanx

I am pretty sure php is *nix. I could also be wrong, but I am assuming.

To clutch...

I worked with php/mysql/html all summer and its a great language. It is relativly easy to learn, and if you have past exp in c/c++ php will come as second nature. I found it to be pretty powerful as a language mostly just from its connectivity with tons of differing applications. You can wap enable php quite easily, and communicating with any database is super easy. I really also like the fact that its server side, so the source only shows of what needs to be shown. As for myself, I have never tried asp, but looks farily well thought of.

I really hope to get into xml, but this semster I am bombarded with c/c++, and from what I glanced over at devshed, i am assuming xml is fairly in depth.

PHP originally started on Unix/Apache systems but there is now a PHP for IIS and for Win32/Apache.

Oh and XML is a very different thing from ASP/PHP and certainly won't replace them.

It may not replace them, but it works wonderfully with ASP. Also, XML's data and formatting layer are completely separate (hope I said that correctly). ONe major advantage of XML tho is the ability a programmer has to customize basically ANYTHING. Make up his/her own language to do whatever they need to be done.

For example, let's say in ASP (vbscript) if you needed a button to execute a given function and there was no "onclick" event, you could invent your own "onclick" event.

Sorry to be picky, but XML is the data layer. The formatting layer is written in XSLT (eXtensible Style Language Transformations).

I'm not denying that XML is useful, it is, but you won't write a worldwide online ordering system using just XML. That's not what it's designed for - it's just a very good way of representing data.

Cool that clears it up a bit for me. Yeah I realized that alone it's not a cure-all, that's why it's used extensively with ASP. And XSL... oh yeah..... forgot about that :-).

Thanx Xiven.

Learning XML isn't hard, trying to make it do something useful is.

smile

Yes, but at least it's a fruitful discussion. Nobody is ranting or flaming, which is why I like NTCompatible so much. Good info is being exchanged in a very civil way. Nothing wrong with going off topic if you ask me; as long as the conversation is still resulting in the exchange of useful knowledge.