Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Don't know hot to install built-in audio drivers, plz help!

A workmate of mine has a Compaq Presario 5000. It came with Windows ME preinstalled & 2 Compaq "system restore" cd's.

Anyway, I delparted the original partitions & installed Win2K on this machine but I don't know how to install the (built-in) audio. I searched Compaq's site but am unable to find a specific audio driver. I don't have the 2 Compaq "system restore" cd's handy, & I have yet to search their contents, but is this where the audio driver could be hiding? If so, will it be for Win2K, since the machine came with WinME preinstalled?

I have no idea what kind of mobo is in this thing, but it does have built-in Intel 810 graphics, of which I got the latest driver off of Intels site. Now why couldn't the audio be that easy....

Any help to set up my sound will be most appreciated.

I'm not sure if this helps any, but my dad's Presario laptop has the ESS Allegro sound in it. Did he by chance get a look in Device Manager to see what was being used?

OK, nevermind. I found the chip on the mobo (Allegro, just like you said) & downloaded the drivers. Thank you!

Should've done that before I posted.....