Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher

ASPI Layer for W2k, does it exist?

I´m looking for Adaptec ASPI drivers for W2k. The ones I found on the Adaptec site (ASPI32.EXE, version 4.60) say they cause problems if installed with W2k. Any ideas where to get a W2k compatible Adaptec ASPI layer?

Those work fine for me as well, but you need an Adaptec product to be "allowed" to install them.

Do not worry you can use adaptec drivers safely. It is just adaptec playing it dirty due to a license /copyright dispute with Microsoft and CDR SW developers.

The ones that are shipped with windows are the same but kind of a light or diet version. so they are not as much capable.

Pardon my ignorance, but I am still unclear on this whole ASPI issue. I have an Adaptec 29160 card installed (I used the Adaptec driver from floppy during installation), but when I run Adaptec's ASPI checker program, it says I have no ASPI layer installed. Wouldn't the ASPI layer be installed with my SCSI card?

Furthermore, when I run the ASPI install program (v4.6) from Adaptec's site (the one that tells you not to use it on Win2K > due to the legal issues mentioned in a previous post), I am told I have "no Adaptec host adapter" installed in my system, & I am forced to cancel the installation.

I would like to use the Exact Audio Copy music ripping program, but it recommends an external (rather than the native Win2K) ASPI layer, although the native layer does work.

Suggestions? Could the fact that I installed Win2K as a "Standard PC" have anything to do with it? Also, I do have a very recent (or the latest) version of Nero installed.

The Adaptec program is only an upgrade for an existing ASPI layer.

ASPI layer is Windows provides for wnaspi32.dll in winnt\system32 as the basic universal driver. Other active ASPI elements whether Vxd or otherwise may vary with the software.

Avoid headache by using the ForceAspi utility.

To install manually, get all four ASPI files here:

http://www.windowplanet.net/downloads/binaries/aspifix.zip

Put the four files in these folders and make them read-only:

wnaspi32.dll in winnt\system32

aspi32.sys in winnt\system32\drivers

winaspi.dll in winnt\system

wowpost.exe in winnt\system

Install the necessary Registry entries with:

http://www.birdcagesoft.com/freeload/RegAspiNT.zip

ForceAspi is the best way to install. Works for 9x/NT using batch files. Just click on a batch file to install/uninstall.

What I usually do when I have problems like that, is download the Nero Aspi update. It just an Aspi32.dll that you can copy into the nero folder, or the WinNT/System32 folder. Works with any other cd burning software out there, too. It's not the *whole* aspi layer, but it's the only thing that a bunch of programs need to burn a cd.