Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ant -|- One

Asus P3V4X temps reading ???!!

Hi,

there's something I don't understand: at whatever speed I set my CPU -a P///650E- from 650 (original) to 911 (fsb140) I see the temps jumping up and down when idle from 37° to 46° while just browsing, no heavy apps running... AND while playing heavy 3D games it jumps to 50-65° running at its original speed or @728/806/866/911...

The mobo temp reading is lying (whatever prog I use to see temps under win2k).

I know the P3V4X is known for this problem, but has anyone an idea as to clear the situation and set my mind at ease (I don't want to burn my CPU!) ????????????

According to what I've just said, should I worry or not ?

Thanx !

Well, I am definately not an expert on this, but maybe I can give you something to work on.

A. What kind of paste are you using?

B. Are you sure you got a nice smooth layer of paste (no empty areas to form hotspots)?

C. Was this range you show for speeds all tested on a single voltage setting? You will get the vast majority of your heat from the voltage rating, rather than the clockspeed alone. Power (Wattage, shown as heat) equals Current multiplied by Voltage (P=IE).

D. Have you checked for any BIOS updates that might address an incorrect temp reading?

I have a Socket 370 P3 933 running at 1.085GHz (1.75V) that idles at 29*C and runs under full load at 42*C, while my Slot 1 P3 550@605 idles at 43*C and under full load runs up to 56*C. The first board is an ASUS CUSL2 and the second is an ASUS P3B-F. I hope these help.

Antoine,

SLOCKET!

... the answer could be there. Some slockets do not transmit the internal diode signal properly if at all.

It would be worth trying several of them.

Just my guess wink

Oh, I thought he was already using a Slot 1 processor, and therefore would not be using a Slocket. Is that the case?

Oooooops!

I must be very tired.

Of course, Antoine stated a Slot one.confused

The slocket story is true but I do not know about slot ones.

The P3V4X was well-known as being a weird mobo anyway.

Regards

I thank you all, but has anyone any solution to get the real temps?

Considering the ups and downs are the same whatever speed I set the Cpu speed at, what am I supposed to think about all this ????

BTW even @911 my P///650ESlot1 does not crash win2k or any apps, I just have concern about the temps...

Weird, no ?

Apparently Asus temp reports are off, and higher than what they really are. If my temps were as high as they appeared, I'd be locking up pretty frequently. 50 C is just a tad hot to be running my Duron for too long and not lock up. My system doesn't lock up in games, or running various torture tests, so I don't think I'm having a problem with heat.

Antoine,

envoies-moi un mail.

Je connais bien cette carte mère.

On peut se contacter localement pour en discuter...

Bien cordialement.

Hi,

I used the P3V4X for a long time also, used it with a Asus S370-DL slocket (recommended by ASUS) and with a PIII866EB(CB0) and a PIII1000EB(CD0). I also got this horrible high temp readings, up to 65°C, even not o'clocked! With my new TUV4X the readings are a lot lower, max. is 51°C now, @1140 MHz, I couldn't reach that speed with the P3V4X.

Because I'm selling the P3V4X I mounted a Celeron 1000 onto the mobo, hm, the temp are also that high. But I don't care anymore, the system is rockstable...

laugh Powermike

Grrrrr, I really don't care about the P3V4X anymore, it just broke down! frown

Lost all serial and parallel I/O-ports, will kick the board into the bucket tomorrow...

Powermike

Quote:

You lost what ? Aren't they just disabled in the bios ? Did you reset the bios to its default ?

Thanks for the reply, yes, I tried anything including loading bios defaults, clearing cmos, bios reflash, etc....

I think, the I/O-chip is defective.

Powermike