Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reidyn

Pool of Radiance 2

I haven't had any luck getting this to install on Windows XP Pro, RC-2. Regardless of options, it says "Not enough disk space".

I have two ideas:

1) It doesn't like something about XP's file system, and will need a work-around or a patch.

2) It has a bug in the installation that isn't allowing it to install to the user-selected path.

Why I believe #2 might be the problem:

1) My XP machine has two partitions, a very small OS partition (drive C) with only about 500MB free, and a HUGE data partition (drive D) with about 25GB free. That second partition is the desired target.

2) When I couldn't get it to work, I went to the Windows 2000 machine, which only has one partition and has about 6GB free.

3) On that Windows 2000 machine, I changed the default path from "C:\Program Files\SSI\Pool of Radiance\" to "C:\Program Files\Pool of Radiance\" ... It *STILL* installed to the default path, totally ignoring my choice.

So if it ignores the user-selected path and goes with the default all the time, then could it also be doing the same on my XP machine and trying to go to C: where I don't have enough space?

I could test this by using Partition Magic to move another GB or so to C: and see what happens.

Either way, it sucks that I can't get it to install to my XP machine to the drive that I want. I'll look forward to suggestions from anyone else who has purchased this game and has an idea of what is up with my situation. THANKS!!!!!

Quote:

2) It has a bug in the installation that isn't allowing it to install to the user-selected path.

This is a known problem (see here)

Thanks for the information... This is the first fatal bug that I've ever encountered in the actual INSTALLTION routine for a game... I wonder how they'll be patching that, since the game hasn't actually installed yet. Guess I'll wait and see. Maybe I can move the registry and other bits from the notebook to the XP machine and change the path references in the process.

Follow-up:

Since this has been confirmed to be a game bug rather than an XP compatibility issue, this message is no longer relevant to this section. However, in case anyone was following this, I'll bring closure to the issue.

1) I exported two registry branches in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software section -- one for stormfront, and one for SSI

2) Moved the game and registry exports from the notebook computer to the desktop machine that had all of its free space on D:

3) Changed the registry key (stormfront piece) for "path" to reflect my actual D: path and the CD path to E:

4) Imported registry bits, and ran the poolii.exe ... in business.

There are likely other work-arounds, but this was what worked for me.

<<Since this has been confirmed to be a game bug rather than an XP compatibility issue, this message is no longer relevant to this section.>>

Anything related to Windows XP and Gaming is relevant to this section.

Game works perfect for me in XP save for no AA. Turn either 2x or 4x on and weird squares appear on the screen. I leave it off and play my brains out smile