Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Losts

Need help changing the startup Logo...

I'm trying to change the logo when Windows XP starts up, I'm using resource hacker, I made my bitmap and integrate it into the ntoskrnl.exe, but problem is the file is kept getting restored... Tried replacing the one in dllcache and system32 folder, it's still being restored. There's one in the drivers cache\i386\driver.cab that I can't replace because it's a cab file...

Anybody have any advice on how to replace the ntoskrnl.exe? Is there a way to trick windows into thinking this is the right file and not restoring it? And I've read it from an article (http://win2kstartup.cjb.net/) about that I need to patch the ntldr into thinking that the ntoskrnl.exe is the right one and load it, so I suppose if I replace it without patching the ntdlr, WinXp would give me an error message telling ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted and will not boot or something? Problems are that the patches at that homepage are for Win2000 so I can't use them on Xp.

Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks!

I think that you need to extract the driver.cab file (using Winzip or similar), replace the ntoskrnl.exe and then rebuild the .cab file using WinAce (Winzip can't do it)

Make a backup of that .cab first though!

Little White Dog is THE place to go for info on this topic. There's a huge post about Win2000 start logos and near the end (about page 69-70) there's some posts about XP. There's also one XP thread here that's specifically regarding XP. Check it out.

Thanks, by the way I got it working, just have to replace it from safe mode, then it wouldn't get restored.

You also need a program called ResHacker. Works great with a lot of programs.