Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JakesDad

PPPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE Help me with XP Networking......

Ok here's my sob story.... I've got two machines, no hub or router just a flip cable. both machines now have xp installed, I can see each computer from the other one but any time i try to access one or the other my main computer locks up so tight that you have to hit the reset button.

I have two nic card in the main comp. one for dsl and one for lan. I wan't to use ics i've ran the wizard on both computers and they say they are fine. Is there anywhere I could look on the net with a step by step guide that shows every setting I need to check or uncheck? Please if anyone can help me let me know, if you need to know more about any settings or anything let me know..

Thanks

Wes

AlecStaar, Thanks for the reply on the last post, That was when I had 98se on the client comp. I still could never even see either computer so I installed XP on both machines. Even did another clean install on mine today. I know very little about networking so any help is appriciated.

Wes

Here is what I Have

Host comp:

Tcp/IP

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Print Sharing

Qos Packet Scheduler

Client comp:

File and Print Sharing

Client for Microsoft Networks

Tcp/IP

Without IPX I can't see either computer again...

Wes

AlecStaar, Well I did everything you said, all that I understood anyway.. smile I changed ever setting on both machines every way possible and every time I thied to move files mine would lock solid.. Then I pulled one of the nic cards out of my machine and no lockups when I moved files....

But I have to have two card to get on the net (DSL). Do you think the problem could be that both the nic cards are the same brand, I tried two different pci slots. Maybe I need to get a different brand of card and try that.

Other than that I don't know...I hate to say it but It's about to beat me. I hate to give up but it looks like I can't make it work.

Wes

guys...i think you cannot make ICS or File Sharing on TCP/IP if your using a crossed cable!, You need to install NetBEUI! protocol rather TCP/IP to make sharing.