Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robbster

partition magic and xp

ok heres the deal... I have partition magic 6 and win XP (2600). I know that my version of partition magic 6 is meant to be only for win NT and win 2000 but i got it working using compatability mode. The thing is has anyone tried it and did it work? Only im a bit wary of using it incase it knacks up my HD frown

Any reply's will be much appreciated

thanks smile

NTFS 5 (Win2k) != NTFS 5.1 (WinXP)

so don't use PartionMagic 6 on WinXP

get it installed != its working, because the program does something physical on your harddrive.

cheers Igor

but have you tryed version 7 on xp? I got no. 6 working through compatability mode but not sure if it'll shag up my HD?

thanks

Version 6 will screw up your PC because XP uses NTFS 5.1 which is different to NTFS5 (which is what Win2k uses).

Just because you managed to get the program to install doesn't mean that it will work - because of the differences between NTFS5 & NTFS5.1, if you try to use PM6, you will hose your hard drive. This counts even if you are trying to convert the partition to FAT32.

(That's what FatFish was also saying)

I'm not sure if PM7 works on XP - best check out PowerQuest's website.

Rgds

AndyF

PM 7 works on XP.

I'm not sure if PM6 will work on Fat32 in XP, but I wouldn't try it.

Very risky.

Partition Magic 7.0 is XP Compatible, version 6.0/6.1 are NOT. Use at own risk.

BTW, can anyone explain me how did PM7 partition an unallocated 51 GB space in 2 partitions AND formatted them in less than 15 seconds? smile

It is correct that version 7 should only be used with Win XP. It would be risky to try using version 6, when you're talking about messing with your partitions. smile

Quote:

It is correct that version 7 should only be used with Win XP. It would be risky to try using version 6, when you're talking about messing with your partitions. smile

V7 is compatibile with previous versions of Windows too. wink

I tried to use PM 6 on my XP. I tried converting unused space to NTFS. IT was a NO GO. IT would get about 99% doen and then it would give some error. So I just got 7 and it works like a champ. It converted my 20gig unused space to NTFS in about 10 sec. I thought that it had screwed up but I checked and it really did it.

Ok, Ok...I should have said, "Use only version 7 and above for XP"..of course version 7 works with everything else before that..that would surely be a shame to see a new version that came out that wasn't able to handle the older file systems.