Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emthompson

Uninstall IE?

I am having a problem running Norton Anti-virus 2002. I keep getting a script error when I try to run the setup wizard. I have also experienced other problems with IE not loading pages right and haveing errors on them. I want to uninstall IE and try to reinstal. Does anyone know how to do this. I looked under Add/Remove windows components but It only gets rid of the desktop and start menue icons.

I know that NAV 2002 installed like a champ on my friends machine and is running fine.

Yes, I have had the same issue with IE6 on XP. Pages come up blank and I have to refresh to view them. Even msdn download login page ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/resources/subdwnld.asp then click on LOGIN)will not display so I have to use win98 or winnt system to get the latest MSDN downloads. In addition, I have updated IE on my W2k system to IE6 and it will login to MSDN but will not download via the download app.

I removed IE on XP using the Add/Remove Programs and then found IExplorer.exe in program files folder. I created a short cut to that file and sure enough, IE6 popped up even after I uninstalled it! The icon was removed from the start button but the app was not. I use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to add it back and it just put the icons back. The files in program files folder were the same.

I guess M$ doesn't want IE removed from ... uh ... their systems.

After the reinstall, as I suspected, I still could not login to MSDN with XP.

I comiserate with you!

Do you ever get any error boxes that pop up when you try to open a page tellin you that the page has errors or some aspects of it aren't suported. I get those a lot. It saks if I want to debug but I always say no and the page seems to open up fine.

Microsoft definatly doesn't want the average user to uninstall IE. I tried to look it up in the knowledge base but I couldn't find anything that would tell me how to do it. Just some things explaining errors that result if you try.

All I want to do is try to do a new install of IE, But now it seems that I am going to switch over to Opera, I would go to netscape but it seems as if Microsoft doesn't like them either.

I did solve my problem with NAV 2002, I just went back to 2001.

Quote:

Do you ever get any error boxes that pop up when you try to open a page tellin you that the page has errors or some aspects of it aren't suported. I get those a lot. It saks if I want to debug but I always say no and the page seems to open up fine.

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced

Tick "Disable script debugging"
Untick "DIsplay a notification about every script error"