Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Windows XP and 2000 network peace anyone?

Has anyone figured out how to get BOTH a windows 2000 Pro and a Windows XP pro to see each other on a LAN, let alone communicate? NONE OF THE TWO PCS can see each other to begin with. They are on the same workgroup, and when they where both win2k machines they worked without a hitch. Now, one is an XP machine, and it fails to identify itself to the 2k machine and vice versa. Someone please help!

Well, it worked fine for me, had XP, 2000, and 98 workign together without doing anything special, so it does work.

Hey guys, I just got it to work. For those of you who may have a similar or identical problem here's the details:

Apparently, Windows 2k/9x/Me get networked through NETBEUI. As you probably realize, XP has no support for NETBEUI, so networking is now done through IPX/SPX. So to network a winXp machine to any other windows machine, you must make sure all machines have IPX/SPX installed, AND with the same IPX/SPX frame. For instance, if machine A has an IPX/SPX fram of Ethernet SNAP, machine B MUST have an IPX/SPX frame of Ethernet SNAP to network them. And so on! Good luck everyone!

:-)

I simply use tcp/ip and all of my computers (7 of them) can see/share with each other just fine. No need for any extra protocols whatsoever.

DT

PS. XP does have netbeui. It's on the CD.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from IPX/SPX and NetBEUI if possible. I have used TCP/IP successfully in the majority of MS Operating Systems (DOS 6.x/W9X/NT3.51/NT4.0/W2K/XP, WFW is just a horrible, horrible memory :)) without any problems between themselves and/or different versions. Now, did you make sure that NetBIOS was bound to TCP/IP so you could "see" the other machines in Network Neighborhood? Most people complain that the machines don't work with each other because they have installed TCP/IP and don't have NetBIOS bound to that protocol. Also, if you are using DHCP, you should either:

A. Make sure the hosting server advises the workstations to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP

B. Configure the clients independently to bind NetBIOS

C. Use WINS

Quote:
Now, did you make sure that NetBIOS was bound to TCP/IP
What do you mean by "bound"?? All I know is this: All computers are networked through a simple LAN 10BT HUB, nothing fancy. No Domain, AD or Server in here! I am more than willing to try networking with TCP/Ip but I don't know how to do it. SOme help here (with good long detail for a dummy like me) would be greatly appreciated. Thanx folks.

Do this:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.

2. Click the local area connection that you want to be statically configured, and then click Properties on the File menu.

3. Click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), click Properties, click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.

4. Click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

5. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.

Make sure that all of the workstations have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled (hence, NetBIOS would be "bound" at this point) so they can broadcast to each other.

Hi everyone,

I have problems getting a Windows Me machine to connect to my windows Xp machine through a simple LAN. There are NO DOMAINS or anything funky like that. The machine refuses to connect to my workgroup! For some reason it thinks the workgroup is "not available" even though my windowsXp machine connects to his machine effortlessly! HELP!

thanx.

PS: I'm running my NETBOS over TCP/IP as clutch has suggested!

Ok. I still have to giure out how to bing TCP/IP to NetBIOS in Windows Me. For some reason, it has greyed out the check box to enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

ALL machines on the network have the following installed, whether be them win9x/Me or Nt/2k/Xp:

1.) File and Printer Sharing

2.) Client for Microsoft networks

3.) TCP/IP -> (ethernet card)

4.) IPX/SPX -> (ethernet card)

Also, ALL machines have respecitve user names/passwords under 2k/XP/NT so that's not the problem. The problem lies within acessing some specific workgroup. the Windows Me fails to connect to the workgroup "PearlJamRox" for some reason!

Yes, Pings work fine. My XP machine can see and get access to his Me machine just fine. HIS Me machine however, fails to connect to the workgroup for some reason!