Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

looking for a good mail client

I'm looking for a good mail client. I'd like it to be able to do following things:

1) keep my mails from different pop3 addresses seperate (not like craplook express)

2) It should have a built-in possibility to backup e-mails easily

Is there any program like that out there?

Thanks

I use OutLook XP because it supports hotmail too.. its the only reason make me switching from eudora to outlook.

I just use Outlook Express and have created message rules to save emails into a folder corresponding to a particular account. Wasn't difficult to do at all

Eks

Thanks for the replies folks!

I followed Ekstreme's advise. I didn't know about the message rules in outlook. i made a folder for each account now and each mail from an account is moved to the corresponding folder. Great function!

rgodart,

I gave outlook a try and thought that the filters would be good enough. What I found was that even though you can filter incoming emails based on the incoming email address and placing them in the respective folders, outlook (last time I looked) does not have the ability to assign a Personality (account) to those filtered emails. So that when you reply, the email is setup to use that account's return address, etc... Eudora does.

For example: I have a main account and about 4 alternative accounts that I also use. If an email comes in to one of the alternative accounts, I have filters set up to transfer the email to a folder and change the personality to suit that of the email address. So that when I reply to said email, the FROM: field is filled in correctly (uses the alternative account information and NOT the main account's) it works really well when you want to keep email accounts separate - I don't run the risk of replying to an alternative account email using my main account info. And you don't have to switch the FROM: field each time.

Hope I didn't make that too confusing. Let me know and I can try to explain it better.

DT

In fact, it's just a comment: to switch the FROM field is no bother at all, just one or two clicks and that's it ! Quite simple I think. I use Eudora also, alternatively, and if it is more customizable, it is also more complicated to use. I think that Eudora's screen is a little to dense, on the contrary OE (5 or 6) is easier to navigate through.

So, I repeat myself: to switch the FROM field is no pain at all in OE.

That's all folks Ihad to say.