Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rex

What version of Windows 2000 supports Dual processors?

Do I need Advanced server to use Dual processors?

Or will Windows 2000 Professional be enough?

I just bought a new pc with 128MB RAM, dual piii 500 cpus and an asustek dual motherboard... how can I tell WIn2K RC1 is using both processors properly? It doesnt seem to run very much faster than the 433 celeron in the other corner of the room

To tell if you have 2 cpus, just open up the task manager and check and see if there are two graphs for CPU usage under the "Performance" tab.

The reason you may not see much increase is because most apps/games are not properly multithreaded and thus will not get any benefit from 2 cpus. However if you use any high end apps like 3d rendering or animation you should see a big increase in speed.

Hi

I checked out Task manager and could only see

one Cpu usage/History window with one green graph line running - how can I tell WIn2000 to use both cpus, or is it a BIOS thing?

Make sure that both CPUs are detected by the machine during POST. Make sure you've got the latest BIOS. Make sure that the MPS mode in the BIOS is set to 1.4

The re-install W2K - all versions will support at least 2 CPUs...and don't trust the upgrade utility.

I've been running RC1 (2072) with 2 Celeron's clocked to 450Mhz on a SuperMicro P2DBS since it came out, and 2031 before that - no problem.

I got it working by going to Device Manager | Computer and changing the ACPI to MPS, which required a reboot and hardware redetection now I get both CPU graphs