Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
locovaca

USB Problems

I'm using XP build 2600 (RTM).

Whenever I do anything "high bandwidth" (IE use my web cam, sometimes when syncing my pda, or copying files from a cf card) my usb drops out. I've tried this with both a KX133 and a KT133 board with the same results. Here's what I have:

Logitech Mouseman Optical (4 buttons)

Intel Webcam (White, CS330, or as windows calls, it Video Cam III)

Casio Cassiopeia E-125

Sandisk CF reader

The KX133 board is an Abit KA7-100, and all the devices are connected via a hub. On the KT133 board, an Asus A7V, they were all connected via the provided usb ports. Once I lose the usb, the only way to restore it is to reboot or disable and re-enable the usb controller. I tried the using different webcam drivers for the longest time to no avail, and everything works under 2k or me prefectly with an identical configuration.

My guess is that the problem lies in the via usb drivers, but I'm at a loss. Has anybody had any similar problems or have any ideas?

Yup...you and I have both just run into our first VIA USB problem it seems. Usually it only crops up on seriously overclocked FSB...but with XP the via controller just sucks. My solution for the time-being was to go down to the store, purchase a $20 PCI USB card and away she went...when/if via ever gets it straightened out I'll pull the card or use it in an old box.

Hey I have had that too - my USB stuff suddenly dies for no reason - I thought it was because it was overloaded and I have since unplugged my USB hub and that seems to have fixed it but I have a Gigabyte 7IX motherboard which uses an AMD chipset for USB !

System:

MS Intellimouse Optical

Compaq iPAQ 3630

MS Internet KB Pro (acts as hub for abouve two)

Swift CARDport SM Reader

Epson 740 USB

Canon N650U

Belkin 4 Port Self Powered Hub (acts as hub for above devices) [unplugged]

I wouldn't mind knowing if this is the same type of thing !

Hey...yep..you have amd chipset alright... AMD® 751 (Irongate) North Bridge AMD® 756 (Viper) South Bridge is what I found on your board. From what I understand there are two types of host controllers: One is a Universal Host Controller (system file of UHCI or something like that) the other I've forgotten what it's called but it's what most of the other board manufacturers use.

I can't spend hours trying to determine which you have for sure though. I love problems and love fixing them even more...but I could not get my USB stable under XP. I have the UHCI type from VIA...try to research and see which type yours is then make a decision to go from there. New PCI USB card or wait for XP driver support from Gigabyte.

Cheers. That confirms my suspicions when I first read your post. Did it again today with just my KB, Mouse and iPAQ plugged in ! Really strange.

Mine is not. The KA7 is 8x100, and the A7V is 8.5x100

It really just astonishes me that it all worked fine under 2k, and it almost seems like it's just the drivers.

I had occasional lock ups under win2k...but XP just won't function...I agree...I'm almost certain it is a driver problem...I just chose not to wait until they figure it out as I can't write drivers myself.

I dood that already..lol I tried it...no go. Oh and as a follow up...

One type is USBUHCI.sys, which VIA uses, the other is USBOHCI.sys...which almost everone else uses.

I'm not sure if I led you here yet or not..but try http://www.usbman.com

I just went and changed the driver to a generic usb driver (specifically the "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller"... lol... Standard Universal), and it all works now. I copied files from my CF card while using my usb mouse, syncing my Casio, and watching video on my webcam.

FYI, the Generic driver DOES use the usbUchi.sys, but I'm just happy that it works. This is on my KX133 board, I haven't tried it on my KT133, and probably won't for a bit (no PSU in it for now), but it is hopeful!

it popped up when i installed the latest bios for my Vp6, not going back to the old one, new one fixed too many other problems.

still crappy tho.