Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

What do yall think is the best sound card to get ? I am on a

What sound card should i get? A Santa Cruz (can get for $59.99 retail at my local compusa), SB Audigy, or Philips Acoustic Edge ($99 one but can get for $79.99 out of store on the internet)?

Anyone who has owned one of these sound cards, or 2 or even all three please let me know what you think of the sound card or sound cards you own or have tried. Like how are the windows 2000 drivers, sound qaulity, gaming sound qaulity, compatibilty, software it comes with, cpu usage, dvd sound quality, any cracking, any stabilty issues, etc ? Also do all of these sound cards have true 5.1 or 6.1 channels ? If they dont is that bad if they are not true 5.1 or 6.1 channels ?

I really want a good sound card for my windows 2000 OS that i use as my main OS so i want the best windows 2000 driver support i can get.

I will be using this sound card mainly for gaming.

Any help appreicated

Thanks

I don't own any of these cards, but I would wait awhile if you're interested in the Audigy since the Live! cards caused problems. A lot of people seem to be happy with their Santa Cruz card, and that card also doesn't seem to have problems very often. I'd lean toward that.

I'd certainly look around at different sites to see about each card. I know Sharky Extreme had a review on the Acoustic Edge and the Santa Cruz, but I don't remember what OS they were tested under. One of the guys around hear has the same mobo you have and the Santa Cruz running trouble free.

Brian Frank ok well how do you like your Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo sound card you have ? I seen that sound card in compusa but forgot how much it was i think like $50 or $60 forgot.

Actually, this isn't the one you are thinking of. This is the original Fortissimo soundcard with a Yamaha DSP. The one you are thinking of is the Hercules Game Surround Fortissimo II which has a completely different DSP, and it's not from Yamaha.

I have heard the Fortissimo II is supposed to be pretty good, like the Game Theater XP without the breakout box.

The one I have, the Fortissimo, is pretty good, but Yamaha didn't include support for the rear speaker output in the Win2k drivers, so that's the only bummer there, but it is still a good card. I has an optical digital out, which wasn't seen on a $50 when it came out. The Fortissimo II has fully functional rear speakers.

I figure you got them mixed up. Guillemot=Maxi Sound Fortissimo; Hercules=Game Surround Fortissimo II.

Guillemot owns Hercules and uses that brand on it's products now.

I highly doubt you'd find the Fortissimo anywhere, as it's been discontinued for around a year. The Fortissimo II is in that $50-60.

Wolf87 i went there but where is the Philips Acoustic Edge? I see the Santa Cruz but not the Philips Acoustic Edge or Sound blaster Audigy. frown

Probably due to dot.com recession, many technical sound sites have either closed or are not updated.

3D Audio Immersion links to OC Addiction's review of Philips's card:

http://www.3dai.net/

SB Audigy information:

http://alive.singnet.com.sg/

A recent review of TB Santa Cruz:

http://grassomusic.de/english/index.htm

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/

http://www.soundcardcentral.com/reviews.shtml

Soundfonts resources:

http://thesoundsite.ismi.net/

I'm running an Abit KT7A-RAID myself. I'm using a SB Live! Value non-5.1 card, and its working pretty well. I get some occasional pops and crackles, but nothing that bad and it is rare. Of course I wouldn't really recommend buying a SB Live! since it is kind of outdated now, especially with all the new cards coming out. Oh, and I'm running win2k also.

rolsen ok well what sound card do you recommend if i will be mainly gaming and sooner or later i think i will be watching some dvd movies maybe?

I dont think i will do much music really. If i do it will be rare i think.

Also is there anywhere i can go to try out all kind of sound cards with out having to buy them so i can see in person which has the best game sound quality, dvd sound quality, etc

Right now may be only using 2 speakers with the sound card till i can get new speakers but these speakers arent that good they are like the kind that hang from each side of your montior.

Any help appreicated

Thanks

I have the GTXP, and it works very well for me. Others it seems to be a bit hit and miss.

Check out this forum and read up a bit on the dif specs.

My Specs >

Asus CUV4X-D (Bios 1010)

Dual PIII 1 ghz @133

1Gb PC133 SDRam

2 x 75GXP 30.7GB IBM Deskstar ATA100

Herc GTXP with 2.02 drivers

Gef 2 GTS Pro 32MB DDR (nvidia ref) 21.81 dets

Yamaha 8424sz int SCSI CDRW

Adaptec int ScSI card

10mb Intel ethernet controller

Acer 52x CDRom

Pioneer 16x DVD A05s

iiyama VM Pro 450 19"

MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

MS Sidewinder FF Pro2 USB

MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro 2 USB

MS Internet Pro KB

USR 56k V.90 Voice/Fax Ext Modem

RatzPad smile

400W PSU

Direct X 8a, VIA 4in1 4.32’s, VIA Usb Patch from sidewinder site.

Dual booting W2k Sp1, Sp2 (all critical updates) I.E 5.5 sp1, sp2 and updates.

WinXP 2600 Final

Most audio fans support this idea: avoid the Creative Audigy, only marginally useful for midi soundfonts or its EAX implementation.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is excellent for use with headphones and DVD playback. DS3D and hardware midi are very good as also the Sensaura 3D positional engine. Universal VersaJack is useful. Good drivers.

Philips Acoustic Edge uses QSound 3D engine which makes it very good with desktop speakers for DVD playback. Very poor hardware midi somewhat redeemed with the Yamaha XG midi software. Cable links for jacks. Good drivers.