Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robbster

small problem with burning cd's under 2000

I have noticed that when i try to burn cd's on the fly under win 2000 i get an error msg. in nero it says reading data failed and in disk juggler it comes up with a buffer error.

Everything is ok when i copy disks straight from my HD so i dont think its the cd writer thats at fault. I also have win 98se on my machine and everything under that runs just fine so its deffinately an issue just with win 2000!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated smile

epox 8k7a+

pioneer 115 dvd rom

miria scsi cd writer

amd athlon 1.4(266fsb)

Buffer Underrun errors are basically where the CD drive isnt passing the data to the CDRW fast enough and are usually indictive of a resources problem.

Start by lowering the Burn speed, but other than that you can try freeing up memory by disabling AntiVirus programs and anything else you may have running at the time.

Also empty out the Temp Directory, but to be honest, the best solution is - as you've found - to copy to the Hard Disk first (I have a Plextor "Burn-Proof" CDRW, 384MB of RAM and about 13GB free on the partition Win2k is installed on, but I still always choose the "copy to Hard Disk" option, just to be sure.

Are your HD's running in PIO mode?

If so, try enabling DMA as it is disabled by default in W2k.