Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Java and J++

Hi Guys,

I have to work in java. Writing .java files and codes and classess...

I have always been usign the JDK1.x from Sun Java.

I have been working C using Micorosoft Visual C++, which has a very nice interface and easier to use. I came across Visual J++ by Microsoft.

Can I work with Visual J++ for my java files. It would be the same as compiling in JDK.

Basically I want to know if J++ is for java and I can work on it to make my java program.

Thanks

ARC

You should be able to ..i used it once or twice ..and

went back to my editor and the suns jdk.

For me the GUI is neither her or there ..

Hi,

There is a setting in Visual J++ that must be left off (it's off by default) if you want to be 100% compatible with the Java standard. I can't remember what the name of the setting is, but Microsoft does give you a pop-up warning when you turn it on. It's used to take advantage of Window's built-in functions - it makes the applications faster than pure Java ones, but it also makes them platform dependent to Windows. If you don't use this feature, then Visual J++ can do everything you would do with any other professional Java package.

In Windows XP, you have to update J++ to get it to work. Microsoft has the information on their Knowledge Base.

Hope this gives you a bit more info -

Pink Panther

hey,

I wouldn't use Visual J++ even though it's cool. The reason is that compatibility is not ensured using Microsoft's Java compiler because they put in a lot of proprietary stuff in there. My suggestion is to get a hold of VisualCafe from WebGain. I used to use J++, but i don't use it anymore since MS lost the case that SUN made against them (which is why they dont' make J++ anymore). MS's answer to not being able to make Java compilers is C#, which is sort of like Java, but NOT. heh

regards,

riz