Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
papagor

How to make Boot Disk for Win xp?

How to make Boot disk for Win XP?

I dont have the Bootdisk folder in the CD of XP. My CD is copie. frown

who said anything about piracy??

give me shout on ICQ and I will giveyou step by step how to make bootable 72811217

<<Piracy is illegal. 8) You don't need a boot disk to install XP, so long as you can boot off of your CD-ROM.>>

whoever said anything about piracy? I normally make backup copies of my important disks (especially o/s's) in case something happens to the original. I hardly find this illegal, as i am the only one using the disks. Although he may or may not be using a legal copy, he may be using it as a trial to judge if he were to purchase a retail copy of this product. basing off the troubles he's having to clean install this o/s.....i'm guessing not laugh

just a ? for you. Assuming that XP is based off of windows 2000, Do you think its possible for our friend to use the 2000 boot disks, but the xp cd to get the results he is looking for? Just a thought.

I personally haven't tried it, i hate to wipe my machine once a month instead of once every 2 d;x

and what if you cannot boot of the cd?

ive seen many oldish computers with oldish cdroms that cannot boot of the cd.

that is afterall why win2k created makedisk32.exe

I found a way to make the cd bootable. Making bootable floppies i saw, but was not interested. The method i saw did work on the cd i had. Let me know if you need help doing it.

-psykosis

Quote:

just a ? for you. Assuming that XP is based off of windows 2000, Do you think its possible for our friend to use the 2000 boot disks, but the xp cd to get the results he is looking for? Just a thought.

I personally haven't tried it, i hate to wipe my machine once a month instead of once every 2 d;x

Nope. You can't even boot a slipstreamed 2k CD wth the original boot disks. I had to write a script that compiled the files off of the CD onto floppies. So I made a disk set for each SP level of my 2k CD's (NOSP,SP1,SP2). The script should work fine for XP but I have not tried it.

Nice one Alec.

i do have it, not that i need it but it can be useful for those annoying times smile

a lot of people i know will like it so yeah its useful.

as for x-periance... im from there too :->

frown

Hello.....

Bad news Guys the XP PRO boot disk maker doesnt work for the final...

When you get to the last floppy and you put the CD in it just hangs frown

i have just withdrawn the program from downloads...

I had used it on previous builds , I have been mailed and it doesnt work for Final ...

Sorry

----------------------------

http://www.xp-erience.org

XP FINAL bootdisks (6) are in MISC downloads section on my site ....

They work .. I have tested them ...

enjoy

heh

yes you can ... now

these disks im talking about were sorta available b4 M$ published them

the other day smile

thanks for the links laugh

A simple way is to take an old win 95, DOS or win 98 Boot disc and erase all the files you dont want (except for command.com) And put in a new set of files.

OK maby somewhat hard if you whant to make something special... But for my BIOS flash it was sufficient.

yes that would work for bios flash etc, but it wont for a start up disc to start the install, cos the NT kernal wont boot from DOS

If you have lost your Windows XP CD or it is damaged, Microsoft has boot disk creator programs that you can use to create a 6-disk set. The boot is VERY slow, but it works.

You will need a floppy drive, of course, and 6 floppy disks. You can search Microsoft's support site to find them.

I noticed someone posted links to the download pages above, but the links are dead, hence my post here. They are pretty simple to use, .but if you need help feel free to ask me