Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
philbarnes

Voodoo 5 5500

Hi all, don't suppose there is anyone out there who has tried or knows of a way to get voodoo5's working in OpenGL. Will the latest Win2k drivers work and is there anyone who has tried them with the latest build (2600) ?

Any help or tips appreciated !

Installing the 1.04.01 beta Win2K drivers for the Voodoo 5 got OpenGL and Direct3D working on mine (RTM 2600, latest BIOS flash for the V5), but Glide would result in a system display freeze, and although everything is still running you won't be able to get back to the Windows desktop OR play the game... it'll just be blank.

arioch OpenGL also freeze the 3dfx OpenGL drv need Glide in oder to run.

What's the latest BIOS version number and where can I get it from ?

Oh and while I remember - when you installed it how exactly did you go about it - did you install 3dfx Tools and replace the driver files ? Please tell me cos I did try and then NOTHING worked - not even Direct3D !

frown Nah that works as well as a kick in the arse. It's a driver from a beta/rc build of XP. XP dont even want to know about it. Also its for a voodoo3 - which i suspect confused might work in practice but we'll see.

Any other suggestions ?

Philbarnes it gose like this time for new video card or stick with Win95,98,ME,2000 forget WinXP belive me win I say to you your Voodoo never work rigth under WinXP and belive me I try ever thing I could think up even stuff try using Voodoo1 glide drv and so down the line on Voodoo5 hehe and I had no lucky how ever a few have had luck with get there Voodoo2 to run under WinXP but there are just to min little probem that come up as much I HATE to say it we **** of LUCKY with WinXP final gold code and petty much all Voodoo cards unless you got WinXP beta 2 on hand. frownfrown

So you option is DirectX

Urm, the only thing that stops me from giving up on the Voodoo5 is that i have a working set of drivers for the Voodoo3 under XP final with Glide/OpenGL/Direct3D support already. All I am hoping is that some clever person thinks up a way of doing the same for my Voodoo5. Anyone have anything constructive to say ?

confused I tried this but all it did was turn my computer from 1152x864 pixels, 32 bit colour @ 100Hz to 640x480, 8)4 8) bit colour and it looked very bad. So I rolled back the drivers (thank you XP) and it works again. But all I can use is Direct3D (which works but I was sorta used to OpenGL) - did I do something wrong ?

I installed the omegadrive drivers using the install program and rebooted and got the mess that i have explained above - is there something that i am too stupid to have done after that ?

PLEEEASE help ! frown

This I got see far I know no matter what drivers I try all I ever got was all kind of screen problem.

Well just for you evilbanshee I test them out but something tell me there not going work after all I'am master win come to voodoo cards.:D

Well at least the 3dfxunderground version doesn't lock up the computer. laugh

And OpenGL worked in Q3A ... perfectly ... even though it claims to be using a Voodoo 3.

Right, this is starting to annoy me. When I tried to install it - everything works until it tries to register the .dll's at which point it complains that it cannot register the .dll's and gives me the Options: Abort|Retry|ignore so i press ignore and guess what - i reboot and it is back in 4-bit colour again at 640x480 ! frown

Help !

At what point are you guys going to face facts?

Voodoo + Winxp = Direct 3d, NOTHING more, and poor d3d at that.

Come to grips with reality, give up on it or go back to 98/Me/2k. The choice's and answer's are very simple you merely need to face facts.

And all those tonnes of butchered driver kits out there are nothing more than poor hacks that won't accomplish anything.

let me help you guys along,

3dfx cards will NEVER, and I mean NEVER, work the way you want them too(like 98/2k) ever ever again in winxp.

EVER.

EVER EVER EVER.

N E V E R E V E R

Look mate, comments like those will never accomplish anything. We know that there will be no OFFICIAL support for the voodoo series but we still want to try and fix what we can with it. They were and still are a good video cards and we are quite attatched to them. Call us old skool if you like but there you go.

As to your remarks re: hacks and getting it working using whatever methods possible - well why not ? We've got our cards which we payed good money for, why not try and get them working. I don't care what all the nVidia crowd think on the matter - we all know that the GeForce chipsets are extremely good at what they do and when I get around to upgrading my system (probably about Xmas) I will get myself a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 1Gb DDR Ram and a GeForce3 Ultra (cos I can chuck good money after bad) - and that will be spiffing, and until then I will make do with my current setup as only games really suffer under XP with a Voodoo5, and anyway, Direct3D works so I CAN play CS, Worms World Party and Red Alert 2 quite happily.

Anyways, enough of this idle chit chat, back to work.

Also if anyone wants to help me out with my last post then please reply here ! I would like to know how you flukey b*******ds managed to get the drivers installed - I think that's the only problem I have.

Might try a clean install on a different hard disk and see if it works then but that's just hassleworthy.

Cheers anyways !