Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
silicongod

Quake 3 won't start

I've just reinstalled win2k with SP2 and installed the new nvidia 12.81 drivers and now I get the following error when I try to start Q3A:

Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.

VM file ui compiled to 555725 bytes of code

ui loaded in 1379200 bytes on the hunk

recursive error after: User Interface is version 3, expected 6

After this Q3 just hangs. After I kill it, I'm left with a desktop that looks like I'm in reverse video and I have to reboot to correct it :-(

I was using the ref drivers 12.41 from nvidia's site and everything was ok. I would like to keep the 12.81 drivers if I can 'cos they seem to fix a couple of other annoyances that I've had but I'm willing to ditch if need be.

My systems specs are:

Tbird 900 on ASUS A7V133 mobo (BIOD v1005a)

Geforce2 MX

768 M RAM PC-133

2x Baracuda 3 20GB HDD UDMA5 in RAID 0 array

1x Quantum 20GB HDD UDMA5

SB Live!

I'm running:

Win2k SP2

IE6.0

Directx 8.0a

VIA 4in1 4.33

Quake 3 Arena + 1.27h patch

I'm downloading the 1.29h patch now.

If anyone can help that would very much appeciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reinstall Quake 3 fresh. I used to know of a way to fix that problem without reinstalling but I forgot. Something to do with the pak files methinks but I'm not sure. Reinstalling Quake 3 will fix it.

Before doing a full re-install try deleting your \baseq3\q3config.cfg file. Also, anyone looking for more performance in Q3A should delete this file - especially you guys that change 3D drivers often.

Don't worry, Quake 3 will create a new file automatically and then all you need to do is re-configure your graphics settings etc.

Good luck!

Turns out it was the Nvidia driver I installed. Switch to a different one, or use a WHQL driver. Thats what I would try first.

Then again, you are using a VIA board....

hehe

What happened in your case was you ran a Quake 3 update that just updated the quake3.exe and did not include the PAK files. I believe that was 1.29g that did that but i am not sure. The way to fix that was to install the point release before that one and then install the other one.

Thnx Busby. You were right about that. I installed the patches in sequence and all is now right with the world.

I just want to thank everyone who replied to this thread. It was all much appreciated.