Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DremNeonBlack

winXP2600 memory HUNGRY !

It seems 256MB isnt enough. When playing online for a couple of hours the memory seems depleted. Everything gets really slow and sometimes it freezes. I increased the virtual mem to a major 500Mb, but still I get the message saying "virual mem running low..."

Is my only option getting another 256MB module or can I tweak it somehow?

thanks for any tips

specs:

amd 1200 (not overclocked)

abit kt7a (latest bios)

256mb mosel pc133 7ns

geforce 3 (detonatorXP 21.81)

not many programs running in the background

um... i think there is a memory leak in your system...

go to task manager to see which program is holding your memory.

Nothing major it seems, the biggest ones:

IEXPLORE.EXE 7Mb

EXPLORER.EXE 17Mb

SVCHOST.EXE 14Mb

ICQ.EXE 8Mb

and a few smaller ones 1-3Mb

Physical Memory (K)

Total 261620

Available 128196

System Cache 141628

Totals

Handles 5632

Threads 281

Processes 24

That´s not to much is it?

I play some QuakeIIIArena mods, mostly Urban Terror and True Combat. When playing the games its ok, all is fluid like butter. Its when I exit the game after some 1-2 hours of gaming, windows gets very slow. Windows and buttons take forever to load and sometimes it freezes.

but it will be back eventually ..

you should have tracked down the memory leak.

For instance ...

Next time it says that ..

check your task manager.

Close ALL the tasks down

and if your memory is still high ..that means one of the apps is unstable or poorly written.

As you have said:

Quote:

Handles 5632

Threads 281

Processes 24

The number of "threads" sucks up a lot of processing power, ESPECIALLY if you're only running one processor. if possible, consider adding another processor to your motherboard (if it is a multi-processor motherboard). I find that even with only two pentium pros @ 200 MHZ each and only 256MB I handle pretty much ANY application you can throw at it with little or no problems!

Also, having more RAM is great, but you need to trouble shoot the problem and figure it out for the future. Imagine yourself one day needing more RAM, then what? upgrade to a gig? I really think you should figure out the problem first.

Also, DO NOT RUN seemingly inocent programs like ICQ or AIM or "smaller" programs WHILE you play a game like Quake3. Those programs may not be taking a lot of memory but they keep your processor busy. Try to give Quake3 as much a share of your processor's power as possible.

Anyways, Good luck. I really hoper you'll figure out the memory problem.