Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ironman666

good firewall

hey everyone. i have setup a windows 2000 server machine to be my internet router. i had linux running and i had setup a firewall in ipchains. now that i'm windows i want to be able to properly protect my system. i'd like to do it w/o 3rd party programs BUT if anyone has any suggestions on a good 3rd party program then please let me know. the only one that i can think of off the top of my head is zone alarm firewall. thanks for any advise.

ZA is pretty good, though a few things may slip by it. Black Ice Defender is supposed to be the best you can get. I'm using Norton's Internet security which features a firewall the the Norton Antivirus in one package.

It's been suggested that you set up a proxy, and is the next best thing to being completely unplugged from the net. I haven't used a proxy, but it is another thing to consider. I haven't done any reseach other than what people have posted or told me, so you'll have to do some research for proxies.

just in case you are wondering, my server is setup as dhcp server and dns server. i'm sharing my connection via ICS in Networks and Dial-Up Connections, not Routing and Remote Access.