Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
El Mariachi

Omg Where Did My Soundcards Go

Device manager says they are installed, but any application that uses sound only uses the PC speaker, and all sound apps get the "there is no functioning sound device on this system"

WTF WTF WTF?!!?

Last thing I did was install a logitech USB cam... but I removed that and rebooted, STILL NO SOUND

My Device manager has them listed.. BUT I CAN'T CHOOSE THEM IN MY SOUND OPTIONS.

check to see if a program is taking control of the sound resources instead of letting device manager do it. Run a DXdiag too and see if that gives you any hints on the prob.

Did you by chance turn off a bunch of services? One of them is related to the Audio drivers.

in dxdiag:

DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)

I get that trying to test directmusic with the 'microsoft synthesizer' port, but the phillps and sblive! ports (both wave devices say they are 'software' type) work.

I have no 'sound' tab in dxdiag, only music.

How can I find out if a program is taking over for devicemanager?

any chance I have to reinstall dx8.1? and.. if so.. where do I download it... 8.0a is the only one available to officially download.

thats an odd problem. The only solution i have for ya is reformatt. Other than that i don't even know.

That's weird. I have a "Windows Audio" service that starts up automatically. I tweaked the services already but I never touched that one. I figured it was pretty important.

Windows Audio:

Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.