Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

Strange BSOD in XP (RC2 & Final)

Im going to describe this exactly, so bare with me for a second!

Installed RC2 (2526) on my Athlon PC a week ago, system ran fine, with no problems whatsoever. I did a clean install of 2600 a few days ago, with 2 pieces of new hardware added: a second 8139 Network card and a 256 MB PC266 Samsung/Hyundai DIMM. First occurence of the BSOD in the setup process (DriverIRQ not less or equal). I cold rebooted, tried to install again, it worked. System ran for about 48h without problems until SUDDENLY got the same BSOD. Rebooted, but i could not even log myself in, due to "authentication problems". I was locked out of my system! I wiped out the C partition (format C, fdisk /mbr), and tried to install W2K. During the setup process I had problems with copying the files(!?) from the setup cd, such situation i never had before. I thought it was a bad DIMM, i moved it to another slot, and windows installed and booted w/o problems (no file errors on copying this time!). PC ran for another day or so, and last night i installed WinGate (proxy software) to share my internet connection. After reboot, i got the SAME BSOD everytime at the same point (after half way on the scrolling indicator in the W2K bootscreen).

Now comes the interesting part: I removed the new DIMM and the second NIC and i still had the BSOD at boottime! I booted safe mode, removed WinGate and system booted OK, installed the DIMM and the NIC again sytem was OK again.

Can anyone explain what is happening here?? Anyone has the slightest idea what may cause this? I thought it might be the second DDR DIMM but i ruled it out since i got the same BSOD even w/o it.

-----------------------------------------------------

System Spex: AthlonC @ 1333, EPOX 8KHA DDR Mobo, 512 MB DDRAM, Asus V7100 Deluxe GeForce2 MX400 TVout, Maxtor 20GB ATA100 5400 RPM, SB Live! XGamer, Pioneer 16x DVD, LiteOn 1201B CDRW, 2x Realtek 8139 10/100 NICs.

I had the same BSOD in XP after i have enabled the Memory Hole at 15-16M option in the BIOS. And its gone after i disabled it.. maybe you can try to disable that option to see if it fixs the problem.