Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WindBlade

WinXP Networking..

Hey! I just recently installed WinXp on one of my comp.. However, my other comps running WinME can't seem to be able to access my WinXP comp on the network.. They can see it, but when I click on it, it will say "WindBlad is not accessible.. Unknown Error 31.." where WindBlad is my computer name...

My WInXp comp, however, IS able to see other comp and share their resources.. but.. my Win9x can't just can't seem to do the same..

I created user accounts on my WinXP comp exactly the same as the user on my other comp..... and I gave shared access of my c:\, d:\ to

WORKGROUP/USERS.

My WinXP is using 3Com Network card while my Win9x comps are using Dlink/Linksys cards connected to an Astante (SMC) Router cum Switch..

hmm.. This is the interesting part...

When I create the the user name in WInXP to be the same as the user name in WinME, it will say "Windblad is not accessible.. Uknown Error 31.."

Then, when I enable guest account, it will say "Windblad is not accessible.. No Permission to access resource.." even the user name created.

And when I delete the user, it will also say "Windblad is not accessible.. No Permission to access resource.."

Anyone of any ideas? Need help desperately.. What the heck does Unknwon Error 31 mean.. hmm. .I got this on 2 of my ME comps, so I don't think it should be ME's fault..

Thanks.. smile

did you format your hard drive on the winXP machine in NTFS? if so that is the problem, as win 95/98 can't read NTFS, only FAT. where windows 2000 and XP can read both. best is to update the ME machine to XP

Dry Thraot, yeap.. my WinXp is on NTFS.. However, I shared a FAT32 drives instead of NTFS drives.. and I did hear that As long as the drives are shared, even if the drive is on NTFS, HPFS or watever, sharing between them is still possible.. due to this thing called SAMBA or something.. smile

Yup.

If filesystems had to be read across networks, I'd assume there would be a unique hell to being the admin for that setup.

Windblade:

Make sure that XP has the guest account enabled and that the all the same network protocols are installed on each OS.

Personally, I've found ME very unfriendly when networking with NT-based OS's. What you're discribing was almost the same scenario I had trying to access my dad's machine running Win2k. I switched over to Win2k, and the problem went away.

I don't remember the error code, but it's been over a year since I actively used ME on my primary system. I do know that ME wasn't very friendly with Win2k, and since XP is very similar to 2k, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the problem could still happen.

I'm not sure if clutch might have something that you could try, but he's the first person I can think of to recommend to you.

ME seems to have a lot of problems in general, and is rather picky about almost anything.

One guy I know had problems networking his sloooooow 95 box with his brand new box running ME. He said he used Apache to get them to work together, but I don't know what his settings were nor anything about Apache itself. Heard of it, but never used it.

For the most part, file systems do not make any difference when read across a network as the local OS (the serving machine) handles all traffic with its disks directly, and then "hands" the data off to the networking subsystem and out to the client PC. Now, there *was* (and may still be) a time when Macs would only connect to NT4 servers when they had NTFS partitions, otherwise you couldn't get any data off of the shares. This was needed in conjunction with "Services for Macintosh" being installed on the server. I have never run into this, but I remember it from my MCSE classes.

hmm..

I did have problems with ME and WIn2k last time.... But this was solved when I isntalle NetBEUI protocol in all the computers..

HOwever, when I did a clean install of XP, I releiased that NetBEUI support has been removed.. and I DO suspect that that is the problem, though its not confirmed..

But if I'm not wrong, on a smal network liek this, IPX is used for file sharing? Correct me if I'm wrong.. =P

AppleTalk for Mac. <- i don't get it, why do they named the Mac as an Apple, can't they tell the difference between a computer and an apple?

IPX for Novell.

TCP/IP for Unix and Windows.

Funny thing is that my brother dual booting WinMe and Win2K, his WinMe can access my share on XP, but Win2K can't...Totally oppsite to you guys problem.

and i have checked that both computers has same ip subnet, same gateway config.. and can ping each other..

Windblade:

I don't remember right off the top of my head the exact directory, NetBEUI is with RC1 on the CD. It's not the Windows folder for sure though. It's also not supported, so your luck may vary.

In Win2k, even with NetBEUI, which we all use at home here, WinME would still refuse to connect to 2k.

Of course, that was one of the many reasons I stopped using ME.

Make sure the computer you are trying to access from is logged in as Guest. If not you should change it to Guest or you should create an account name on Windows XP to match the same account.

Yeap.. can ping it..e verythig is alright.. the rest of the comp can access the internet.. My winXp can see the rest of the comp and access it..

but my other comps can't access my WinXP comp even thoguh they can SEE it..

and yeap.. WinXP user matches the user on WinME comp..