Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
federation

winxp and win2k on 32 mb system

hi

i want too install winxp and win2k on two seperate pc`s but they only have 32 mb ram. everytime i install them i get a message that it needs 64 mb or more too install.

now i have heard that there is a way too get xp and 2k run on 32 mb systems does anybody know how

I'd have to say don't even bother trying. It may be possible, but it would run so ridiculously slowly (constant paging) that it wouldn't be usable. You do realise that 256 Meg of memory now costs less that £30 / $45

32MB? Your kidding, right?

Win2k ran, but slowly with 64MB, and getting over 128 helped a great deal. I can't imagine running XP on 64, much less 32.

I totally agree with Xiven. Even if you could install XP, it would be so ungodly slow it wouldn't be funny.

256MB is around $50USD, and that's cheap. Best thing you can do to those systems.

Just in case Xivan and Brian weren't convincing enough, I'm posting to agree with them. 2000 runs slowly with 64 MB, well with 128, better with more than that. 32 MB would bring either of those OSes to a crawl with constant paging.

Memory is creap, put at least another 64 in both, or might as well go 128 or more with the low prices now.

You can get it to work by modifying one text line though. I did it for Beta 3 of 2k server on a P100 with 32mb ram when it came out. Sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I just ordered 256MB of sweet Crucial RAM for less than $40. Should be here Monday. Ahhh... 512MB, I can't wait. smile

Think I can get Win2K on my 486/66MHz with 40MB of RAM?:D ****, I'd run into the same prob I do wiht all the Linux distro I've tried: the 540MB disk ain't big enough.

-bZj

Considering 95a chugged on a 486DX2/66 with 8mb of ram..... Even tho I think the OS used around 10m+.

It runs Win95 OSR2 OK. Win98 was too much for it. I think I'm going ot pull it of the garage to try MenuetOS on it. smile

-bZj

Technically speaking, you CAN run windows 2000 or XP on a 386 if you WANTED to even with 32 or less MB of ram. The question is: are you NUTSS enough to do it!