Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greggy

Dronez problem

I'm having a problem running Dronez on my Win2K Athlon system.

Basically, the Demo will run all day long with no problems, however if I start a new game the system will freeze (ie Windows will crash) after just a few minutes - I have to press reset & reboot.

Can you guys comment on your Dronez experiences - especially if you have AMD CPUs - as a freind of mine with PIII 800EB, Abit i815E and GF3 has no problems at all with Dronez.

Other 3D games such as Max Payne, HL & CS, Q3A, UT etc all run perfectly - 3DMark 2000/2001 and the Dronze demo work flawlessly.

Thanx

Greggy

Athlon C 1.33GHz (not o/c), Abit KT7A 3R, 512Mb PC133 SDRAM, WinFast GeForce2 GTS 32Mb (not o/c), SB Vibra 128, Intel 10/100 nic, Windows 2000 SP2 including Pre SP3 hotfixes etc, VIA 4in1 ver 4.32 etc etc

Have you got the "LargePageMinimum" registry patch from AMD installed?

If not here it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"LargePageMinimum"=dword:ffffffff

What drivers are you using? I am using the 14.70's and DroneZ has never crashed on my Duallie P3.

Yes, Windows 2000 has the 'LargePageMinimum' registry patch - so thats not it.

I'll try the 14.70 drivers and report back asap...

Thanx guys!

Looks like I might have a dodgy CPU...

Dronez will run perectly if I under-clock the CPU to 1133MHz or below. FSB changes don't seem to make any difference, nor does increasing or lowering the voltage.

I've tried 12.41, 12.90 and now the 14.70 Detonator drivers but they don't make any difference either- so it looks like my 1.33 Athlon is a little flakey.

So strange, as other 3D games (Q3A, UT, HL etc) run perfectly even at 1.4GHz at a resolution of 640x480 (so that the CPU is not held back by the video card).

I'll get a replacement CPU and let you all know the results.

I have not swapped the 1.33GHz Athlon CPU just yet as I'm reluctant to change it!

I booted up at 1466MHz (11.0 x 133) at 1.75 volts and ran the Dronez rolling demo at 640x480x32bit for 4 hours straight with not one problem. I then set the resolution to 1024x768x32bit and ran the demo for another 2 hours - again without any problems. However the actual game of Dronez still freezes if I set the CPU anything higher than 1133MHz. It locks up at 1200MHz (9 x 133) (1.60 -> 1.85 volts), but runs 100% perfect at 1133MHz (8.5 x 133) even at 1.60 volts.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps my CPU is AOK and infact Dronez has a problem running higher than ~ 1.1GHz... Its not the first time I've heard of software problems on fast CPUs (eg. early UMAX SCSI scanner drivers on CPUs > 300MHz).

Can anyone provide some more information regarding this theory?