Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JackyTheBeaver

Asus A7V compatible with WindowsXP??

Any advise/comment on this issue is appreciated:

I have a Duron 700 + Asus A7V computer with 320 mb of ram with Geforce2 GTS plus the ATI TV wonder tuner card. I am planning to upgrade my OS from win98 to windowsXP.

But a friend of mine had got a computer with about the same configuration (Tbird 1000 + A7V) and he was not able to run win2000 on motherboard/CPU combo, so he had to exchange his motherboard/CPU for a PIII 866.

My question is, since winXP and win2000 use the same core, that means that whatever configuration that's not supported by win2000 is not likely to be supported by winXP, so is it reasonable for me to expect my Duron 700 + A7V to run winXP at all? I have never tried win2000 but I've seen some people on forums complaining about how A7V motherboards aren't supported by win2k and stuff.

Please drop a line if you have any thought, thanks.

um... i have a Tbird 1000 and a Abit KT7 (same chipset as Asus A7V), but i have no problem running win2k or winxp.

I think your system will run fine in winxp.

Tell yer friend to set BIOS back to the defaults and make sure he's got it upto 1007. I've been running Win2k on my A7V for about 10months and I've had no problems installing it ever.

I have a ASUS AV7 with a Athlon TBIRD 1.2, and a Geforce 2 pro card running Windows XP without any problem. previosly I was running Windows 2000 on the same motherboard with a 1 Ghz TBird also without any problem. I am still using the 1002 bios version. I have not upgraded because I dont have problems.

But I have heard of some people having problems exactly with this combination of hardware and Windos Xp or 2000. There is good advice about configuration at http://www.athlonoc.com and http://www.geforcefaq.com

Also make sure that the memory you are using is of good quality.

Thank you guys for the advise you've been very helpful.

But be aware though that from what I heard there are 2 versions of A7V motherboards the earlier one which I have has a bad reputation of being unstable and have issues with compatibility. I believe the A7V E version is the one that's "bug free", maybe the reason why Brian Frank and CRamaglia are having no problem with their hardware combination is due to the fact they are using the later version of A7V.

Could someone confirm this? I could be wrong.

I went to the Asus web site and there is no mention of different version of the A7V motherboard, and looked all over my motherboard and it only shows A7V qith no other letter or number after. My motherboar is not that new I got mine about 8 or 10 months ago. I belive that most problems with the motherboard are driver related. make sure you always use the lates drivers. Also there are some seting in the BIOS that help to keep the machine more stable, specially if you are using a NVidia video card:

The settings described here should provide maximum performance and stability (for any motherboard not only A7V):

Fast Writes - Enabled.

AGP Mode - 2x or 4x, depending on whether your motherboard supports AGP4X or not.

AGP Driving Control - Auto.

AGP Master 1 WS Write - Enabled.

AGP Master 1 WS Read - Enabled.

AGP Aperture - see 'What should my AGP Aperture size be set to?' question.

Assign IRQ to VGA - Enabled.

Video BIOS Shadow - Disabled.

Video BIOS Cacheable - Disabled.

Video RAM Cacheable - Disabled.

C8000 - xxxxx Shadow - Disabled.

Peer Concurrency - Enabled.

Concurrent PCI Host - Enabled.

PCI Streaming - Enabled.

VGA Palette Snoop - Disabled.

You can also try these settings if you are having problems:

Memory hole between 15-16MB - Enabled.

A note about ACPI: Windows 2000 and XP takes advantage of ACPI, with the side-effect of slapping all your cards on the same IRQ. If your video consistantly locks up after only a few moments of playing a game, you've got an IRQ-sharing problem. The following setting is for people experiencing this problem:

Plug and Play OS Installed: Set this to NO

Another thing to consider is heat, I keep my machine without one of the sidecovers (its a tower)

Also make sure that the power supply and case is really certified by AMD. some cases and power supplies can not put out a stable flow of energy for the Athlon (check it out here: http://www1.amd.com/athlon/config)

Also check the following info: http://www.teamanarchy.com/writeups.php?idx=986866324

I hope all this helps...

(my computer has been on for 5 days without a single reboot, crash, error or similar)

Originally, the A7V came with and without onboard sound. The sound version featured the overclocking dipswitches only in the beginning, but I have the version with no sound but with the dipswitches for overclocking.

My board is a genuine Asus A7V, no E or 133. The board revision is 1.02 and it originally came with the 1004 BIOS. After I upgraded to the 1007 BIOS, a BSOD that required a software patch no longer came up.

I bought mine in nov of 2000. The first one I had was a dud (had it for a week, same revision), but the one I have now is running smooth as ice, and overclocked.

Dunno what yer problems are...

I do know asus has a whole line of A7____ boards, several have A7V in them.

Mine is the plain A7V, no audio but with the dipswitches. The board says "Asus A7V" as well as the box it came in. I don't know what further proof I need to put forth.

Ditto to CRamaglia's comment.

my motherboard has the dip switches and sound (I dont use the sound, I am using instead a Soundblaster Live! board). I checked the manual that came with my Asus A7V and noticed that in the cover in the upper right side there is a number E601 (which refers to the manual revision 1.03 E601). All the dates in the manual refer to the year 2000. The cover describes the product as Asus A7V Jumperfree PC133/VC133 200MHz FSB AGPO Pro/4X socket A Motherboard