Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Low dog

Win98se versus WinME

If you want to play games and you want any semblance of stability then forget ME its CRAP.

ME will become corrupted quicker than you can blink an eye.

ME is as flaky as dandruf

IF you use ME and manage to get 1 week without it hanging and crashing then you are doing exceptionally well.

ME is as tempremental as a schizophrenic.

If you use ME at least you will become adept at installing os's because thats what you will be doing constantly,until you realise that it is CRAP.

Dont listen to anyone who says ME is good,its CRAP,if you dont belive me install it and enjoy,enjoy being driven insane by FREEKIN ME,but you would have to be a masochist.

Use 98se for games,its not perfect,far from it but at least you will get a hell of a lot more stability out of it.

Duh.

Those lucky enough to not get crap from ME are far and few between.

I had some cocks_cker flame me because I though ME sucked (which to date still does).

ME promised and did not deliver. Thank god they're getting XP out soon.

Winme is the absolute worse version of Windows I have ever seen. Windows 95 and 98 were FAR more stable and ran better than ME.

Win ME is totally useless. I treid my luck with it the other day, thought it cou;dn't be as bad as everyone said it was so I installed it. Wish I hadn't. I was soon reaching for my Win 98 SE CD again.

It's strange though that my Dad's PC, a 1.2 gig Axia runs WIndows ME wthout any trouble at all (I guess he must be lucky, he;s had the machine now for the last 3 months and Windows ME hasn't crashed once!) But my T Bird 900 well it coughed and spluttered, I've never seen so many BSOD's in all my life.

I had to wipe my wntire drive clean because Windows ME dumped a load of sh*t on my D partitoin which made Win 98 crash.

My conclusion is that Win 98 SE is the bets version of Windows based ont he 9x code.

Behemoth

Well, I'm one of those people who had good luck with ME. It was as stable as 98SE, the features were somewhat useful, and I did notice better network performance under ME.

It does happen.

Yes, but unfortunately not to as many as those who have problems. Networking was bad news for me, as ME refused to connect to any Win2k machine no matter what we did. It's no longer a problem as all the networked PC (5 of 'em on the network) run Win2k. There's another one with 98, and my dad's laptop with Win2k on it, but that's it. (3 people own 2 PC's, 1 owns the other, 2 don't own any). I'd say it's safe to say Win2k will probably be running on our systems for a while. XP is too much of a hassle since we use NetBEUI, and the included version doesn't like the family PC (which I rarely use). And I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy off topic.......

I hate the 9x OS' with a passion, looking for a way out from them ever since I first experienced NT4. Before I was finally able to get rid of them with my upgrade to XP my machine dual booted between Win2k and WinME. WinME was required to get Final Fantasy VII working because everything I tried, even soultions posted here, failed to get it going under 2k. Anyway, ME was fine and dandy until I found that when I was browsing network shares the thing would hang after a certain amount of time. Killing the window was easy but in true Win9x fashion killing one Explorer windows kills them all including the main shell resulting in all you systray programs hanging about in RAM doing nothing. This was even after I'd told ME to "Launch folder windows in a seperate process" mind you. Anyway I diagnosed a buggy LAN card driver and downloaded the lates ME drivers of the Web. Every time I tried to install them resulted in the driver update wizard crashing, every single time. Given that I was using 2k far more than 9x at that stage I decided to leave it be until I got XP. Now with XP I'm finally free of Win9x OS' and all I can say is: Good riddance to bad rubbish.